Transfer mp3's to new PC - HD5

S

syeatman

I have done some searching about this in the forum but cannot seem to find a definitive answer.

Basically my problem is that I am on holiday with HD5 and have bought a new laptop. I now want to transfer my mp3's to the laptop.

I cannot do this through Sonicstage (as far as I can see). Is this possible??

Thanks in advance,
Simon

You need to use the SonicStage Back-Up Tool that was installed on your original PC when you installed SS and the HD5's drivers. This will make it possible to move the files from place to place without invalidating them. Unless, of course, you've already switched off copy protection BEFORE ripping with SS, in which case you can simply use any means you like to move your tracks.

Dunno if it works, though - never tried!

It's a shame that you cannot just copy the tracks from PC to PC though. what happens if a PC dies on you and you have to start from scratch? It really is a pain!

I would really like to have them on my new laptop as I will not be home for over 4 months now.

Oh well :(

shadowritten said:
You need to use the SonicStage Back-Up Tool that was installed on your original PC when you installed SS and the HD5's drivers. This will make it possible to move the files from place to place without invalidating them. Unless, of course, you've already switched off copy protection BEFORE ripping with SS, in which case you can simply use any means you like to move your tracks.

Dunno if it works, though - never tried!

Bit late for you now but I rip CD's using something other than SS (I use WMPlayer10) then import the MP3's into SS, then I convert them to Atrac3+ when I transfer to my HD3.

Makes it a lot less painless when you change PC's/Disks etc..

syeatman said:
It's a shame that you cannot just copy the tracks from PC to PC though. what happens if a PC dies on you and you have to start from scratch? It really is a pain!

With SonicStage 3.2 you can turn off copy-protection when you rip your cd's. This enables you to treat the file like any other file. You can transfer that file to any many PC's as you would like and transfer to any devices any amount of times.

syeatman said:
I have done some searching about this in the forum but cannot seem to find a definitive answer.

Basically my problem is that I am on holiday with HD5 and have bought a new laptop. I now want to transfer my mp3's to the laptop.

I cannot do this through Sonicstage (as far as I can see). Is this possible??

It is not possible to transfer mp3's from your HD5 to a PC. It is however possible to transfer atrac3 from your HD5 to your PC. To do this both your computer and HD5 need to be authorized through Connect.

Ryzir said:
With SonicStage 3.2 you can turn off copy-protection when you rip your cd's. This enables you to treat the file like any other file. You can transfer that file to any many PC's as you would like and transfer to any devices any amount of times.

It is not possible to transfer mp3's from your HD5 to a PC. It is however possible to transfer atrac3 from your HD5 to your PC. To do this both your computer and HD5 need to be authorized through Connect.

I'm in a similar situation - how do you do this?

sk79 said:
I'm in a similar situation - how do you do this?

Example:
Both PC & HD5 are authorized though Connect. Transfer atrac3 files (doesn't matter if they have copy protection or not) to HD5. On second computer authorize that one as well, connect HD5 and transfer back to PC.

The files transfered back to the PC will only work when the computer is authorized. Connect let's you have up to 5 PC's at a time.

Ryzir said:
Example:
Both PC & HD5 are authorized though Connect. Transfer atrac3 files (doesn't matter if they have copy protection or not) to HD5. On second computer authorize that one as well, connect HD5 and transfer back to PC.

The files transfered back to the PC will only work when the computer is authorized. Connect let's you have up to 5 PC's at a time.

Ryzir, at the risk of offending other extremely helpful forum members on here, you must rank among the most enlightening! What with the DRM removal tip and stuff like this (I didn't know up to 5 PCs could be authorised!). How do you know all this stuff, and will you please consider putting it altogether in a single thread for the benefit of all us frustrated HD5 owners!

Good on yer mate :thumbsup:

Ryzir said:
Example:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. How do I authorize my pc and HD5 - do I register on the Connect homepage?

sk79 said:
Sorry, I should have been more specific. How do I authorize my pc and HD5 - do I register on the Connect homepage?

Yeah you just register in Connect. To authorize your HD5 connect it to your PC then on the Transfer screen in SS hit "Device/Media Info" then hit "Authorize".
***Warning*** Sometimes when your authorize your device it will erase all the tracks on your player, sometimes it doesn't (I don't know why).

shadowritten said:
Ryzir, at the risk of offending other extremely helpful forum members on here, you must rank among the most enlightening! What with the DRM removal tip and stuff like this (I didn't know up to 5 PCs could be authorised!). How do you know all this stuff, and will you please consider putting it altogether in a single thread for the benefit of all us frustrated HD5 owners!

I can't really take all the credit. Most of this stuff I have gathered through other Message Boards such as: ATRACLife & Audio T-Board
I will start making a tutorial of all things possible with SS 3.2 but as the new connect player is coming out I don't know how useful it will be.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom