Transfer movies to internal ps3 hdd

daftpunk1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I was down at a friends house and I offered to remove his ps3 hdd and fill it up with films for him.

Ive arrived home and put it in a usb sata case, connected it to my mac and its no readable. Connected it to windows xp and it is not readable.

I could format it with mac disk utility but dont know what settings to use or if it will work when I take it back.

Am I missing something....:thumbsup:

Am I missing something....:thumbsup:

Yes. It's formatted differently by the PS3.

You can't access any information on the HDD itself. If you formatted it the PS3 will just reformat it when you plug it back in most likely.

The only way you could transfer files onto it would be to take a FAT32 formatted USB stick/HDD, and plug it into his PS3, then copy files off it.

Axum is correct, the PS3 will format the drive when u put it back in and u will lose the films u put on it. Get ur mate to buy an external HDD, its by far the best way to store/play media on a PS3 in my opinion.

Axum is correct, the PS3 will format the drive when u put it back in and u will lose the films u put on it. Get ur mate to buy an external HDD, its by far the best way to store/play media on a PS3 in my opinion.

Why is it better than having them on the internal?

Well, for one, if the ps3 goes belly up, at least he wouldn't lose them.

yea, true. My fat ps3 has just died with a 500gb hd in it. Lost everything :suicide:
I had both a big internal and a big external hdd and the internal was a bit of a pain. The main reason being that the way you organise media into folders on the PS3 took bloody ages, so I ended up using only a small bit of the PS3's hdd and what I did have on the PS3 was all over the place, especially photo's.
With a External u can set it all up on your pc, quick and easy. plus, transfering files takes a quarter of the time and you can use your external on any media player/ps3 so u dont have to lug a ps3 around.
Dont get me wrong, u can use the ps3's internal hdd with no probs, but the more u put on it the messier it gets.
Its a personnal thing I suppose, the other option is streaming from ur pc, but once again, for me the external hdd was the easiest option.

I think his mate would be more worried about losing all of his save games if the drive is formatted! :devil:

I think his mate would be more worried about losing all of his save games if the drive is formatted! :devil:

Yea, lol. Or his Pro Evolution edit data, . I just had to put that back in. Something like 500 files to copy over, grrrrr

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom