Question Transfer movies from Sony HXD870 to Laptop?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cvickery, Jul 14, 2015.

1. cvickery

cvickery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I've read through quite a few posts on here and I'm expecting the answer to be no! I have a windows 7 laptop with HDMI. So is it possible to transfer the movies either real time or moving files using an HDMI lead or USB drive?

I usually put the movies onto DVD's to watch in the motorhome when we are away. Just trying to make life easier/cheaper.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,150
    I have to give you your expected answer unfortunately - No.
    The laptop HDMI is an output only, not an input... but there are many other reasons why it cannot be done.

3. cvickery

cvickery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gavtech, Thanks for your reply. I'll get some more DVD's then.

Thanks again.
    Chris

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,399
    What you can do is (using a RW disc) make a DVD (using High Speed Copy) and then take the contents from that onto your Hard Drive (for which you will need, if it doesn't already have, a DVD drive and some extraction software on the laptop). In theory, if you use VR mode on your RW disc, you should I think be able to simply copy the movie and play it. In practice I have found that so doing often gives rise to some corruption and so I have tended to use Video mode which I have found more reliable. However to make a single movie from the contents/file structure of a video mode disc does require some software.