• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Transfer hdv footage on sdv camcorder???

dirty hoofer

Standard Member
Hi.
Does anyone know if I can transfer hdv footage from a sdv camcorder?
My hdv canon legria hv40 has a broken firewire port and im thinking of getting a cheap £10 dv camera from ebay just for transferring the footage.
Cheers, Jono

Emerton

Established Member
If you have shot in Hi-Def a standard DV tape cam won't play it back, you must have a HDV deck/cam for playback. Are you sure it is broken? I have been told by repairers (which I'm not) that sometimes a build up of static can cause Firewire ports to stop working and it is easy to fix, unfortunately for me this was not the case and my DV tape camcorder (Panasonic MX500) was truly kaput and not worth repairing.

Last edited:

dirty hoofer

Standard Member
really. hmmm. what is static? dust etc? I was thinking of taking off the outer casing to see if I can see a problem on the back of the port. I dont know whether they are easy to replace, would save me a lot of money if I could do it myself.

MarkE19

Static = static electricity

If you drag your feet across the carpet and then touch something metal like the freezer you can sometimes get a small electric shock - this is the static build up of electricity discharging to earth.

Mark.

rogs

Prominent Member
Firewire ports have a poor history of being 'fried' by earth potential differences -when being 'hot swapped' - or by static electricity.
The port design is not good in this regard, and unfortunately the problem is invariably fatal.
A quick Google on the problem will soon show it's not uncommon... and sadly very expensive to repair....

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom