1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transfer from VHS

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by paulcollins14, Oct 11, 2003.

1. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

I am trying to capture footage from my VCR plugged into my pc via a Canapus ADVC-100 analogue to digital converter (scart to svideo/phono from VCR to converter and firewire from converter to pc). The audio and video captures but for some reason its in black & white. Whatever I do nothing seems to transfer the colour. Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You've probably got the dip switch set to wrong format, is this the first time you have used it ?

The device is set to NTSC by default you need to change it to PAL. It's in the manual, if you can't find it I'll go into a little more detail.

If it's not that are you trying to capture copy protected commercial VHS ?

3. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the dip switch on the converter set to PAL, I know its working OK as I can capture from my analogue camcorder with perfect results.

The VHS tape is a recording of a Central news program which I am trying to capture for work so it can be added to promotional DVD's.

I tried tech support at Canapus, they said its probably caused by the cable runnimg from the VCR to the converter and if not that I need to send it back for a firmware upgrade. I don't understand, if it works fine from 8mm analogue tape why not from the VCR ?

4. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought of somthing else I could try, I have a Sony TRV33 which has svideo in. I will see if it will convert the signal.

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Of course I was thinking when you said you were using an S-Video cable from the the VCR that it was a S-VHS player. Is that the case ?

If it's a VHS player you will need to use composite out not S-Video cable.

6. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No its a bog standard VHS. The cable I'm using is a QED scart at the vcr end and svideo with 2 phono cables at the other. Could it be that the cable which I spent £50 on just to try and sort this out is not RGB and therefore will not transfer the colour ? Or is that me being over simplistic ?

7. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Standard VHS do not output S-Video (S-VHS do). I would imagine that is why you are not getting colour from your S-Video input lead to the ADVC-100.

Try simple composite connections from VHS & see if that sorts it.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    As vonhosen said, your VHS VCR will not output an S-Video signal. The only connection that will work is a standard composite. This can be output from the VCR via scart, but will connect to the converter as a single yellow phono plug (same as the red & white plugs for audio). No VCR's will output RGB either.
    So the £50 QED lead you have will never work with your VCR. As said above you need a scart to 3 phono plugs (Red & White for audio and Yellow for video). Also switchable as without the lead will only work in 1 direction as the scart plug uses different pins for input & output.

Mark.