Transfer from Pc to Pc?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mac49, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Mac49

Mac49
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting a new Pc and would like to transfer some stuff i.e music, photos, programs etc from my old one to new one. Can this be done with a USB cable or something from one Pc to the other? Is it easy to do and how?
    Thanks in advance

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    If both PC's share the same router you set up a home network between them and can use a free peice of software from Microsoft called SyncToy.
    SyncToy 1.4 for all PC's except Vista 64 which will require SyncToy 2.0 Beta.
    In its simplest form you can set SyncToy to Sync My Documents on one PC to My Documents on another and what ever is missing on one, SyncToy will replicate on the other. Or set individual folders.
    Also if you delete or update any files SyncToy will also update the folders and place the overwritten or deleted file in the Recycle bin.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...54-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

3. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    there's a program called pc mover, it'll transport *most* of your applications across to another PC. It actually works quite well, I used it when I got my new system last year. Can be done via a USB cable which they supply, or a network (wired ethernet preferrably) as it transfers a lot of data

http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/

4. BananaTiger

BananaTiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I was flicking through the channels on tv once and I saw a product the QVC shopping channel which does this. I'm not sure if the product is any good to be honest, and probably expensive for a one-off job, but I thought I'd mention it for reference. It was called Torndao file transfer tool.

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.557148/walk.yah.UKEL-UK16

Having said that, if you are buying a new pc, why don't you buy one with a dvd writer? You could transfer things via dvd. May take some time but it's a cost effective solution.

5. tinners

tinners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    why not just plug the hard drive from the old pc into the new one ? Or buy an external USB enclosure ?

6. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    that costs over £30, and only transfers files

the one i linked to costs £29.99 and transfers all programs and settings and files of your choice

the first one is a scam, (i.e you can already do this will a simple network cable), the second one actually does something useful

7. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Thats got to be one clever bit of software to transfer software, how does it do xp to vista or vista to xp stuff ?

I would do it the old fun way.

Make one list of all sofware installed and then rebuild that list on your new system. Once the software has been installed then move your stuff over.

Remeber you have things like

: Fonts
    : System tweaks
    : System look and feel
    : System files - wallpaper / icons and so on.
    : Software config
    : Hardware settings - picture / audio
    : Mail backup
    : Browser settings
    : My folders
    : Streaming to media player / 360 / ps3
    : Updates to new machine

Thats before you even install office

8. blingo

blingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I would just connect both machines to your router and make a home network and transfer your files, music, vids. I wouldn't transfer apps across pcs i would do a full clean install on the new pc to avoid any problems.

9. BananaTiger

BananaTiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Like I said, don't know anything about it, and I said it was expensive. I was just making a reference so people can make their mind up. If it's a scam then the OP can ignore it. I'm not a PC guru hence the original statement.

10. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Everyone is talking about "Money", get this, use a DVD, USB connections etc etc. Why spend ANY Money, if you have a home network it does not need to cost Anything?
    You can either use Microsoft SyncToy (Free) or just copy and paste files across your home network if you are just doing a one time only transfer.

11. blingo

blingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Well said.

12. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    It is actually clever software, it routes out all the registry keys for each app and puts it into your new registry. Out of my entire old PC, only Sony Acid 6 didn't work properly, and I just installed that again.

That included

: Fonts
    : System tweaks
    : System look and feel
    : System files - wallpaper / icons and so on.
    : Software config
    : Hardware settings - picture / audio
    : Mail backup
    : Browser settings
    : My folders
    +
    : Microsoft Office 2003

I left it going thru an ethernet network overnight, took 8 hours to do the lot.

I presume if I had a program set up to stream across my network, it'd be a simple option to let it know the local IP address had changed. To be fair, I have never tried a cross-OS transfer, but according to the link I posted earlier, it will do it

well said? all those solutions involve moving files, not entire applications. I'm amazed no-one will believe me that the program I linked to will do applications as well as files

13. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    sorry your reply sounded like I was telling you off :eek: I didn't mean it like that, I was pointing out the difference :smashin:

14. BananaTiger

BananaTiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    No probs mate. The bold bits threw me off :)

15. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
  16. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,230
    I personally wouldnt do this as you could potentially copy all the crap that a registry builds up on a PC used by a self proclaimed novice. If you are doing all that why not Ghost the drive and run a windows repair on it to get over the hardware changes, then the PC is identical to the one you had before but with probably more disk space.

I always do a fresh install of all my apps, it really doesnt take that long, and you have far better piece of mind.

Admitidily it is hard to point out all the area's where you would need to look to copy files from one machine to another (espeically if you are a gamer and want all your save games :rolleyes:) but other peoples advice above is all good (usb enclosure for old drive, slave old drive) but the easiest is simply copying files across the network through your router.

17. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    I think MAC49 has given up/lost interest?, everyone is assuming this and that when all he asked for was "I want to transfer some music, Photos etc". I think we ought to give this thread a rest!

18. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    actually MAC49 asked
    notice the difference to your misquote? ;)

given that the OP posted at half 4 this morning, im not surprised that they haven't replied yet :smashin:

@Theydon Bois - if you clean up the original PC first, you'll only get what you need. Uninstalling is much easier than hunting down installation discs and doing it all from scratch. PLUS, you can choose which apps you want to transfer, so you don't get all the crap stuff you don't want

19. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,230
    Appreciate that - but do you want to spend time tidying up an old pc, then dragging apps across to a new installation vs just installing the apps on the new fresh PC? :D

Entirely my own opinion obviously, and I am sure that you are probably like me and keep a tidy PC in the first place, using a proper uninstaller rather than Add/Remove programs, (....hmm theres a thought - does anyone actually 'add' a program through that? :rotfl:) defrag, and regclean etc.

20. kaidiez

kaidiez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    OT: what is a good uninstaller, was actually thinking about that the other day startup time on my comp is getting ridiculous. Might reformat (cos its always fun...! no, serious, is great) and put that on before i start installing things.

I would just go with the free option personally, via ethernet cable, i couldnt imagine spending 8 hours installing all the crap i had on my old install. When you have to manually reinstall everything you realise how much of it you dont need or want anymore. Is always nice starting with a fresh install and getting that speed boost before the comps arteries are clogged up again, and tbh I barely install anything on mine. Id hate to use a comp of a younger person who is always trying out new programs like i used to do.

21. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,230
    I use Your Uninstaller, free trial for 30 days. It also allows you to control start up programs as well, very useful.

http://www.ursoftware.com/

22. Mac49

Mac49
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for all the replies, very useful. So I can't just connect PC to PC via USB and move stuff that way? You advise the best way is via my router and set up a network?

23. read1976

read1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Will the Laplink application move SQL based applications?