• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Transfer from Analog to PC

Val101

Standard Member
hi all

i want to transfer some old camcorder footage onto a dvd. the footage is analog and the camcorder only has a rca video out and two rca audio outputs.

i've seen lots of usb to rca cables to do this and i've also seen video capture cards as well as external units that seem to do this.

what i want to know is which would be the best method to achieve this, the finished dvd will be played on a 50" plasma screen so i want to try and get the highest resolution possible to fill the screen, what i want to avoid is having a tiny box in the middle of the plasma screen with the footage being played.

please help, many thanks.

jaymac

Established Member
I would go the dvd recorder route get it on dvd first then choose a good editing programme to edit and burn to dvd. Your analogue footage will be 4x3 format so dont know about filling the screen

senu

Distinguished Member
I agree , the settop DVD recorder route is relatively painless, especially if minimal editing is required
Regardless of size of its screen. Im sure your TV will have various options to allow you fit he footage on screen without letterboxing
Letterboxing from 4;3 footage can occur on any size of screen!:rolleyes:

jaymac

Established Member
''I didnt want to spend a few hundred pounds on a dvd recorder, i only want to transfer a few hours of footage ''

Ah but you did'nt ask the cheapest way you asked the best way which I think you were given.
Apart from that dvd recorders need'nt cost anywhere near that

senu

Distinguished Member
what i want to know is which would be the best method to achieve this, the finished dvd will be played on a 50" plasma screen so i want to try and get the highest resolution possible to fill the screen
i didnt want to spend a few hundred pounds on a dvd recorder, i only want to transfer a few hours of footage

Ah but you did'nt ask the cheapest way you asked the best way which I think you were given.
Apart from that dvd recorders need'nt cost anywhere near that

Absolutely

There are "cheap" devices which allow you capture from analogue to a PC, and there are costlier ones... (click the links)
This "AVDC"
is one of the low end costlier ones

Dazzle
make a more affordable range

Is it the best though?.( that is what you asked for, remember ;) ?)Your 50 " Plasma is likely to show up any shortcomings IMHO. The final DVD resolution is fixed but encoding bitrate and quality of encoder make a significant difference to outcome

As stated above DVD recorders are truly not that expensive, and can still be used after your immediate need

I have one, in addition to some fancy external analogue to digital devices ..and use which I think best suits the situation.

Also there are some PC TV cards which have analogue capture and wont cost more than £35-40.
I wouldn't bother with them for the hassle unless you like that sort of thing. I also have one too, (Hauppage Win TV PVR 250) which is a tad old now . I suspect the more "modern" USB devices would be more convenient if a bit less featured

All I can add to all this is that given the perhaps low resolution of the original analogue recordings ( you havent said if Hi 8 or just 8mm or VHS-c) you would need to be pragmatic about just how much quality you can get from them
Good luck:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom