Transfer files to xbox from external hard drive

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by carnaige, Dec 22, 2011.

1. carnaige

carnaige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

I have a 2tb external hard drive. I have about 70 gig of music and pictures that I would like to transfer across to my Xbox 360 Slim (250gb)

When i plugged the drive in to the 360 and went to system / settings / drives (or similar) it said that i would have to format the drive to make it useable for the 360.

Obviously I don't want to do this as i will lose my 70gig of media if i format the drive. What is the best way to get round this? Do i need to create a partition on my external drive and then use that area for the 360? Will this approach retain my current media when I setup for 360 use?

all i want to do is copy files across to the 360.. there must be a simple way!?!

Thanks

2. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,819
    Nope, you cant transfer media to the 360 via Hard Drive, you have to rip the cd's via the 360 or stream via a PC or from a HDD or NAS.
    Only music ripped via the 360 and downloaded movies via xbox live and Marketplace items can be put onto the 360 HDD oh and games ofcourse.

You could use the HDD to play back the music from the 360, when you attach it go to Music Player and see if your HDD appears in the list, think it has to be formatted to FAT32 or HFS+ I think for the 360 to recocgnise it.

When it asks you to format the drive that is for storing games or DLC to the external drive.

3. carnaige

carnaige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for the helpful response..

Could I burn mp3’s and pics to a CD and then ‘rip’ them onto the 360 that way? I don’t suppose I could do the same with DVD’s (thinking of the extra capacity here) could I?

I do have my laptop set up to share media with the 360 and that does work but I would like a solution where I don’t need the laptop (or external HD) on the access my media files…

So not related to what I'm trying to achieve then - I’ll steer well clear of any disc formatting!

4. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,819
    Nope wont let you do it, seems silly considering the PS3 does.
    I ended up just leaving my USB HDD plugged in and played back my media that way via the Folder Views, Video, Music & Photo's and the HDD appeares as a Device.
    I then went the NAS route and stuck everything on that so it just appeared as a PC on the 360.

Now I am using a Apple TV as my Media Player with XBMC running on it.
    Much better than the 360 as a Media Player.

Maybe have a look at dedicated media players :thumbsup:
    The 360 is a good media device but quite basic the more I used it the more I wanted it to do so ended up going the Apple TV route.

5. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896
    The only way to get music on to a 360 hard drive is to rip a CD. The CD has to be in standard format, so you can't burn MP3s to a CD as a data disc and then copy them over.

Your options are either to use an external drive formatted to either FAT32 or HFS, or to set up streaming so that you can stream music, videos and pictures from a PC or NAS.

EDIT - Beaten.

6. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,819
    Someone had to take over replying to these posts while you were on holiday fella, over to you now :thumbsup::laugh:

7. DJSigma

DJSigma
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,896