1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transfer analog 8mm camcorder video to DVD.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ivrm, Aug 16, 2005.

1. ivrm

ivrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to transfer my old 8mm camcorder video to DVD.

has any done this?

what did you use?

I have a WinTv capture card, which will capture SVID and audio, but usind the TV2000 program I get very large .avi files I was hoping to capture as Mpeg files which I think are smaller in size without too much loss.

Tried capture through Nero but the resulting video has a loss of 10% in frames and looks like a Charly Chaplin film

Any serious sugestions would be welcome

2. jonna

jonna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,992
    ivrm,
    I've always found the most reliable way of transfering older camcorder footage is to use a dvd recorder.Use a/v out on your camcorder to a/v in on dvd recorder .Record onto dvd ram /dvdrw and then use your computer software to import and edit it and finaly burn.Works every time and no jerky video.

Jonna

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    I would suggest you stick to AVI files when captureing. I know the files are large at about 1Gb per 4 minutes captured (13Gb per hour) but AVI does offer the best quality and ease of manipulating at a later date.
    Compressed MPEG files are more difficault to edit well and could result in further loss of quality. If AVI files are converted to MPEG-2 after capture the PC doesn't need to work as hard as doing it in real time and can often do a better job.

Mark.

4. Greenbag

Greenbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with jonna, get yourself a DVD recorder and connect your video 8 camera up to it using its video and audio out sockets. I bought a Sony model and it has composite in/out, svhs inout and DV in and it just saves so much hassle trying to set up software on the computer. When you have the DVD burned, finalize it so it can be played on the computer or on the DVD player you have in your sitting room. You could also try to connect the DVD recorder up to your computer but you'll need a good capture card with at least a SVHS input on it - to give you some level of higher quality. Unfortunately the Sony model I have doesn't have a DV out - anyone heard of a 'widget' that can change this?

Hope this helps.