1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transducers / shakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Taz, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just decided, i gotta get a shakin' sofa! whats the cheapest way to do this Transducer / shaker way??

and is it worth it? the only reason I ask is that I just went to see Spiderman and the cinema had 'shakin seats' (via Transducers) under the floor.

Sounded and felt great!:D

Taz.:cool:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
  3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Just sit on an upturned sub!:D

I just knew it. You 'do' want/need another sub.:D :D :D
    You're so easy.

But seriously though, I would go for two subs mate, cheaper and you won't have the problem of powering the shaker. If I'm not mistaken, you'll have to spend lots on a big amp to drive one.

4. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeeess! he's talking me into two subs now! :eek:

Can't afford a butt kicker £700+ and another amp:eek:

if there's not another way, I must go down the 2 subs route!

Taz.:cool:

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    It really is great spending your cash!

6. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taz,
    I have been using a clark tst229 transducer which was the bottom of the range model, cost around £200 from lets automate + a 100w amp from www.bkelec.com. Mounted in the bottom of my sofa it was easily powerful enough for my tastes, transmitting major vibes when required not only through the sofa but the surrounding wooden floor as well.

However when a tst3710 came up in the classifieds (the plonker had bought 2 - must be a plasterer by trade!!) i just couldn't resist, according to specs it offered twice the output (ft/lbs per watt) and a lower response (to 5Hz). I've been using this one for a few weeks now and have to say that the lower response is nice but i tend to run it at a similar level to my old one otherwise it becomes too intrusive for my liking. At full whack its ridiculous and gives me double vision :eek: When my dedicated room is finished then i'll be fitting both the shakers, one to sofa and one to the joists, should be fun!

Theres no way i would be without one now, last time i went to the cinema the lack of tactile feedback really disappointed me and i'm glad to hear they are catching up.

The bkelec amp modules, despite there deceptively cheap price appear to be very powerful, my 100w unit can cause the transducers 135w rated protection to cut in if i push it, plus i bet your arse would be hard pushed to tell the difference between bkelec and Krell amplification ;) . Ramius the diy sub guru who posts here also rates these quite highly.

At current u.k prices of approx £350 for shaker and amp then i seriously doubt you'd be disappointed. Better value to be had if you import though, i know Mark (only kidding bout the plonker remark earlier m8) whom i bought the 3710 from went down this route.

HTH.

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'm quite busy at the moment so looks like you'll have to buy some transducers.:)