Question Transcoding - NAS or Nvidia Shield?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by GonkfaceGary, Mar 22, 2018.

1. GonkfaceGary

GonkfaceGary
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my QNAP ts-251+ connected to my Nvidia Shield via ethernet which is then connected to my Samsung TV via hdmi. So far as transcoding is concerned, which of these two components performs the transcoding if needed? Does the Shield access the raw content on the NAS and then transcode or does the NAS transcode before supplying the Shield. My files are all 4k mkv or avi. Given the processing limitation of my NAS, is it better to have the Shield do the transcoding and if so how do I disable the NAS from doing this?

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,143
    With Plex the server does the transcoding and the client tells the server what media formats it supports so transcoding is only invoked as needed.

The Shield supports a large variety of media formats so should rarely ever invoke transcoding.

The Shield would not perform any local side transcoding, you'd have to run the Plex server on the Shield which is possible but probably not ideal given your NAS is the storage location, ideally it would be storage attached directly to the Shield.

You can disable transcoding in the Plex server but of course then certain things may not play or use a third party client that forces all decoding to be done locally on the Shield like MrMC which has built in Plex support.

3. GonkfaceGary

GonkfaceGary
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. Thanks for that. From your responses, I think the issue I am having is more to do with processor performance than transcoding. If I am watching a 4k movie in the lounge, I am viewing it through the Shield which is accessing (hardwired) the NAS as the storage area of the 4k file. My son might be watching another 4k movie via his Plex client on his xbox one s which is accessing the file (on the NAS) via wi-fi. In this scenario my son's content will buffer constantly. There doesn't seem to be an issue if the files being accessed are 1080p and 4k, only when it is 4k and 4k.

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,143
    Yeah three possible issues

1) It's the WiFi it cant keep up.

2) The Xbox Plex client is not as capable as the Shield Plex client. The Xbox One S only supports 4K media in H.265/HEVC format in an MKV container with Dolby audio, anything not strictly compatible with that will cause the server to invoke transcoding.

3) The load on the server is too much transcoding 4K media while simultaneously streaming 4K media to other clients.

First thing I would try is install Kodi on the Xbox One app store (an alpha version is there) and it supports NFS network shares, that removes Plex from the equation as your playing the files direct. Kodi has much better media support as the Plex client on Xbox is just an extension of the stock Xbox video player (MrMC is a fork of Kodi too).

Unfortunately I cannot recall the NFS settings on QNAP from memory I think most of the guides are out of date, basic enabling is done via;
    Control panel->Win/Mac/NFS turn on v4 NFS

Then under set NFS access;
    Control panel->Shared folders->permissions (access no limit, no root squash, uid guest, IP *)

(If you run into trouble and feel like posting pictures of those settings maybe I can point in the right direction)

If thats too messy you could try and see if the Plex addon for Kodi is present in the build on Xbox One, go to addons and search for Plex once its setup you can access a Plex style interface, but I think this still does transcoding.

5. GonkfaceGary

GonkfaceGary
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent. Thanks for that. I will investigate tonight.