Transcoding NAS Arrive

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by next010, Mar 5, 2013.

1. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    Most of your reading this will be familiar with the problems of DLNA, commercial off the shelf NAS cannot transcode video in real time which poses a problem when streaming to clients with limited video players like phones, tablets, TV's.

You typically needed the processing power of a PC to transcode but Intel has just announced a new NAS chipset that will include video transcoding features.

The Intel Atom CE5300 is coming to Synology, Thecus and Asustor NAS, it will allow real time transcoding of media to multiple clients.

This should also make streaming media over the Internet from your own NAS a very easy thing to do as well.

The only downside is the cost, Atom based NAS are not cheap like the Arm models. In the PR text Asustor mention an AS3 series using the chip, their current is AS6 hopefully that's a sign lower cost models are coming.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Interesting, I wonder if its using Intel quicksync as per i3 etc but in the atom chip. I'm not sure how good that is, I think it depends on the software but quality wise its not up to Handbrake.

V.interesting though.

3. ovbg

ovbg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Thanks next010, this stuff is always interesting. I have an ARM NAS myself which does a great little job backing things up on my network, streaming music to my various squeezeboxes, and even streaming 1080p video to my TV via my iPad and AirPlay. But it won't transcode on the fly making it useless for my Plex server.

Such a pity as it runs 24/7 and would be perfect for this - if it only had the grunt.

Then again, I chose this over a more powerful NAS due to its low power consumption. Afterall, if I was to have a computer on 24/7 I wanted it to use so little power it wouldn't be noticed - that said, I am running an atom laptop now 24/7 as well for my Plex Server, so I may as well consider replacing my NAS with something more powerful anyway...

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    First model announced using the CE5315, the Thecus N2520 for $260, also doubles as XBMC media player with HDMI and optical outputs.

@NX3 I've no idea how it pulls it off but it can handle transcoding to multiple clients not just one so it probably isnt quicksync but some custom video encoder. The CE5300 isnt just for NAS, Intel's revamped media division is using it as well, I think thats whats in HDI Dune's XBMC box as well.

I would imagine any third party software like Twonky, Serviio, Plex and so on will have to be updated to make use of this hardware.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013