Transcode 360 Help needed- Mkv .264 Files

Ginsoakedboy

Standard Member
Hi All,

I posted this question many moons ago but no one replied... I hope to have more luck this time.

I am quite happily using Transcode 360 to play .avi files through windows Media Player onto my 360. However, whenever I try to play 720p files in the .264 mkv format - which seems to be the HD format of choice these days - the audio and visual immediately fall drastically out of synch, with the video lagging a l-o-o-ng way behind the audio.

I would say that my PC is not fast enough for the job, but it's only using about 60% CPU power whilst doing it, so that's not the problem, I don't think.

(PC is a Dell desktop, X2 Dual Core 6000+, 3ghz, 3gb of ram running Vista)

The network is wired, not wireless and I don't think that's the culprit either.

Is this a codec issue? Some setting I'm missing? Please help! :lease:

GSB

SirTiger007

I heard somewhere - possibly completely irrelevant - that if you change the file extension from mkv to avi then it works. Though what "it" was and if it applies to you, I have no idea!!

Worth a go though!! :D

Ginsoakedboy

Standard Member
Thanks Tiger but I think that refers to making the files visible to Media Center. I have no problem with visiblity, it's transcoding that I'm struggling with.

Many thanks for your input though.

GSB

TheFreeJaffa

Hi All,

I posted this question many moons ago but no one replied... I hope to have more luck this time.

I am quite happily using Transcode 360 to play .avi files through windows Media Player onto my 360. However, whenever I try to play 720p files in the .264 mkv format - which seems to be the HD format of choice these days - the audio and visual immediately fall drastically out of synch, with the video lagging a l-o-o-ng way behind the audio.

I would say that my PC is not fast enough for the job, but it's only using about 60% CPU power whilst doing it, so that's not the problem, I don't think.

(PC is a Dell desktop, X2 Dual Core 6000+, 3ghz, 3gb of ram running Vista)

The network is wired, not wireless and I don't think that's the culprit either.

Is this a codec issue? Some setting I'm missing? Please help! :lease:

GSB

Check out Gotsent:
sentry23 - GOTSent

It transcodes the audio within a MKV from 5.1 audio to 2 channel ACC, which the 360 can play - while leaving the video untouched. Its a LOT faster than transcoding both the video and audio.

Gotsent will leave you with a MP4 file which you should be able to play from a PC to your 360 using Windows Media Player 11.

Ginsoakedboy

Standard Member
I guess that means there is no way to transcode in real time then - shame.

However, I am currently using Gotsent to convert one of my MKV files so I will see how I get on - thanks for the reply.

GSB

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom