Tranparent Dish for conservation area

Status
Not open for further replies.

wicknwild

Hi

Can anyone recommend a Transparent dish (preferably 85cm or above)?
Searched around but can't seem to find any reviews or feedback from users who have them.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Vin Blanc

Try this web site.

Satellite dishes. Transparent satellite dishes. Sky dish, freesat dish, mobile dish, Large satellite dishes 54cm - 4.5m. Prime focus. Fixed satellite dishes, Low prices. UK.

I think a lot of their dishes are made by "Primesat" but double check the actual dimensions as they sometimes publish the dish height instead of the width.

I have the transparent 80cm off-set dish for caravan use, the only problem I ever had with it was when the wind toppled it on its nose which snapped the plastic LNB mounting and bent the aluminium arm.

Van Blanc

P1000299 (800 x 450).jpg

wicknwild

Try this web site.

Satellite dishes. Transparent satellite dishes. Sky dish, freesat dish, mobile dish, Large satellite dishes 54cm - 4.5m. Prime focus. Fixed satellite dishes, Low prices. UK.

I think a lot of their dishes are made by "Primesat" but double check the actual dimensions as they sometimes publish the dish height instead of the width.

I have the transparent 80cm off-set dish for caravan use, the only problem I ever had with it was when the wind toppled it on its nose which snapped the plastic LNB mounting and bent the aluminium arm.

Van Blanc

View attachment 473709
Hi Van

Thanks for the quick response - I am looking to connect a motor to the dish and mount an Octo LNB. Should I be slightly concerned about the plastic LNB mounting?

Are you aware of any difference in signal quality, compared to a metal dish?

Thanks once again.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Is there nowhere you can hide the dish - I've installed quite a lot of motorised that are really well hidden but still see very big arcs.

Using transparent dishes for camping sounds like a good choice, the one's I've handled would take a bit of rough handling & spring back into shape if moved regularly whereas steel or ali pressed won't & they look good on a caravan.

Vin Blanc

The plastic LNB bracket was certainly never designed to handle eight cables dangling from the LNB however,

When mine broke off in France following a nose dive in gale force winds, I was obliged to invent and carry out a "make shift" repair which, as it turned out made the bracket ten times stronger than in its original form.

The bracket is partially hollow having a 15mm cavity at the back. I first took a couple of 3 inch nails and bent them to the same angle as the bracket.

I filled the cavity with "Isapon" (car bodywork filler) then embedded the two bent nails well into it before it began to set.

The result was a complete success and is still on the dish today supporting a twin LNB and co-ax’s.

I can almost hear Pedro groaning as I type – :D

As far as signal quality goes, you really need to compare the gain figures of the various dishes to find the best one.

I think the main downside to my dish is the tubular (rectangular aluminium) arm which tends to sag a little under more than normal weight. It certainly didn’t like the heavy "Invacom" twin LNB I once tried on it.

Have you considered a steel or carbon dish, spray painted with some sort of décor onto it? Flowers or something?

I’m sure I once saw pictures of this somewhere, looked fantastic!

Vin Blanc

lbear

Rules vary according to the conservation area and the status of individual buildings and even facades within it - a recent ruling is making an owner reinstate pebble dashing to the outside of their property. I suggest you run your proposed installation past your local planning office just to be on the safe side. You might, for example, find that a transparent dish is OK but the motor equipment is not.

wicknwild

Is there nowhere you can hide the dish - I've installed quite a lot of motorised that are really well hidden but still see very big arcs.

Using transparent dishes for camping sounds like a good choice, the one's I've handled would take a bit of rough handling & spring back into shape if moved regularly whereas steel or ali pressed won't & they look good on a caravan.

Hi Pedro

Does your installations ever take you to the East End of London?

I might try and upload a picture (over the weekend) of the only area where a metal dish may work.

Thanks

wicknwild

Rules vary according to the conservation area and the status of individual buildings and even facades within it - a recent ruling is making an owner reinstate pebble dashing to the outside of their property. I suggest you run your proposed installation past your local planning office just to be on the safe side. You might, for example, find that a transparent dish is OK but the motor equipment is not.
Good point. I may give the local authority a call.

thanks

wicknwild

The plastic LNB bracket was certainly never designed to handle eight cables dangling from the LNB however,

When mine broke off in France following a nose dive in gale force winds, I was obliged to invent and carry out a "make shift" repair which, as it turned out made the bracket ten times stronger than in its original form.

The bracket is partially hollow having a 15mm cavity at the back. I first took a couple of 3 inch nails and bent them to the same angle as the bracket.

I filled the cavity with "Isapon" (car bodywork filler) then embedded the two bent nails well into it before it began to set.

The result was a complete success and is still on the dish today supporting a twin LNB and co-ax’s.

I can almost hear Pedro groaning as I type – :D

As far as signal quality goes, you really need to compare the gain figures of the various dishes to find the best one.

I think the main downside to my dish is the tubular (rectangular aluminium) arm which tends to sag a little under more than normal weight. It certainly didn’t like the heavy "Invacom" twin LNB I once tried on it.

Have you considered a steel or carbon dish, spray painted with some sort of décor onto it? Flowers or something?

I’m sure I once saw pictures of this somewhere, looked fantastic!

Vin Blanc

It looks as though I may have ditch the transparent idea.

Very helpful thanks Vin

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Hi Pedro

Does your installations ever take you to the East End of London?

I might try and upload a picture (over the weekend) of the only area where a metal dish may work.

Thanks

Am in London installing a lot - not sure I'd contact planning or just yet, I'd focus on if a very discrete position is available 1st - there are rules & guidelines covering England but some local councils can [or try to] insist on their own requirements being adhered to & ignore the national rules.. whether they're always allowed to do that is debatable & planning isn't as hard and fast as some may think... some areas or councils in London increase the allowed dish size maximum without planning - typically from 1m to 1.3m.

[edit] -There are no planning issues anywhere in the UK regarding satellite motors, it's just about the dish face & actually only concerns the actual reflector area & excludes any supporting rim, brackets, projecting feed arms, cables etc.. - a motor is just a bracket that moves & modern diseqc motors are no bigger or even smaller than most az/el brackets on dishes. Noise could be a valid issue but modern diseqc motors are very quiet unless you buy cheap.

Last edited:

wicknwild

Am in London installing a lot - not sure I'd contact planning or just yet, I'd focus on if a very discrete position is available 1st - there are rules & guidelines covering England but some local councils can [or try to] insist on their own requirements being adhered to & ignore the national rules.. whether they're always allowed to do that is debatable & planning isn't as hard and fast as some may think... some areas or councils in London increase the allowed dish size maximum without planning - typically from 1m to 1.3m.

[edit] -There are no planning issues anywhere in the UK regarding satellite motors, it's just about the dish face & actually only concerns the actual reflector area & excludes any supporting rim, brackets, projecting feed arms, cables etc.. - a motor is just a bracket that moves & modern diseqc motors are no bigger or even smaller than most az/el brackets on dishes. Noise could be a valid issue but modern diseqc motors are very quiet unless you buy cheap.

Thanks for doing the research Pedro.

Can I PM you my details and the next you are around my part of London, you could do a sight survey and quote to install?

MartinPickering

One problem with a transparent dish is that it reflects light like a mirror when the angle is right. At such times, it's anything but unobtrusive! Also, I think the rear bracket looks unsightly. I prefer a metal dish that is painted to camouflage it against the background.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom