Tranfering VHS tape

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KoKelly, Oct 11, 2004.

1. KoKelly

KoKelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    Can anyone who has done this advise me please? I am at present transfering Hi 8 camcorder footage onto my PC via a Dazzle Fusion box and then from there onto DVD but I am finding that the quality is deteoriating somewhat. I want to do VHS as well but I presume this will present the same problem. Would I be better off buying a DVD recorder and transfering Via the scart for the camcorder and then using the video and audio leads for transfering the VHS? After that I presume I could transfer from DVD to my computer to edit and add on a slide show + titles to the DVD? I am just surprised that I am loosing approx 15% of the quality in the way I am teansfering currently and if you compare the camcorder playing directly to the TV versus the DVD from the PC you can notice a big difference.

If I but a digital camcorder presumably on the transfer to either DVD via a recorder of straight onto PC there would be no loss in quality would there?

Any advice appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Kevin

2. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Utimately the PC will always provide the best capture device. That is of course if you have a very good capture device, a TBC, a good MPEG encoder with multipass, the correct filters and experience..... No set top DVD recorder is going to match that.

That said however, if you want the sheer convienance of pressing play on one and record on the other, then todays DVD recorders are still a very good option. (then transfer the recording to a PC for final editing..)

On a Hi-8(digital) or VHS source - with a decent bitrate setting and cables (SP or XP) then I expect you'll be pleased with the result from a DVD recorder....and IMO this is your best option.

3. scoutthedoggie

scoutthedoggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Teeerex, for sheer easy of use just get a good standalone plug in your camcorder or VHS/Beta source and press record and again I agree on XP or Sp no higher or if the item is for example 78mins or whatever then use the FR option for best quality for that item length. I use my Panasonic E30 and E50 for this very thing with great results, could do it on the PC but it takes three times longer to do with much more swearing when thing F***s up, which is rather often.