Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Trancers - a question

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Jan 8, 2003.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Can anyone help me please?

The superb 1980's sci-fi classic "Trancers" (with actor Tim Thomerson), has just been released onto DVD. (Well, technically it came out in December 2002.)

The problem I have though is regards its certification. The actual DVD and DVD case, clearly state and display a red "18" certificate. The running time, is listed as being around 84 minutes. (All previous British video releases were uncut, but with only a "15" rating, and the duration being about 76 minutes!)

According to the BBFC site, the latest classification for "Tremors", was on the 13th November 2002, where the film was classified as uncut, with a "15" certificate, with a running time of 76m 15 seconds.

So, can anyone tell me what the heck is going on, here?

Does the DVD contain extra material? Is the running time of 84 minutes, simply a printing error? Why the increase to an "18" certificate, when the film is uncut at the "15" certificate level? (It can't be to do with trailers, because there are no extras of any kind on the UK DVD version.)

Also, is the DVD in widescreen, as I can't find any details on the DVD case? I already have (what I presume is) the uncut version, when it was shown about 10 years ago, late night on BBC1. As such, I don't want to pay for another 4:3 edition.

Alternatively, does anyone know of any other versions of this film, that are out on DVD, please, from anywhere in the world?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pooch

2. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    A sleeve miss print perhaps. Thats all I can think of Pooch. There are no extras as you said, so therefore no extra material to push up the classification. It always has been a "15" certificate. Still since when has DVD sleeve notes and artwork been an exact science.

This is the full classification history of Trancers:

TRANCERS Video
    Feature
    Classified 13 November, 2002 . Run Time 76m 15s

Advice for consumers
    Theme or content n/a

The main spoken language in this work is English.
    The BBFC has placed this work in the ACTION genre(s).

When submitted to the BBFC the work had a running time of 76m 15s.

This work was passed with no cuts made.

At the time of classification Prism Leisure Corp PLC was the holder of the rights or the brand name for this work.

Directed by Charles Band Producer(s) Not known

The cast for this work includes: Tim Thomerson, Helen Hunt, Michael Stefani, Art Le Fleur, Biff Maynard, Anne Seymour.

A film or video, together with associated trailers may exist in several versions and all versions known to the BBFC are listed below.

Category Type Date Company Run Time Cut Title
    Film 07/11/1984 Entertainment Film Dists Ltd 76m 12s No TRANCERS
    VideoTrailer 01/05/1986 Entertainment in Video Ltd 2m 49s No TRANCERS
    Video 23/02/1987 Entertainment in Video Ltd 73m 32s No TRANCERS
    Video 13/11/2002 Prism Leisure Corp PLC 76m 15s No TRANCERS

I would also suggest tracking down the distributors, Film 2000, see if they can provide details of the ratio from their website or customer service number.

3. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WHOHOO! Welcome to the 21st century Jack Deth DVD! :D

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Jak Deth is back .... and he's never even been here before!
    Dry Hair is for squids!

5. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Well I know this is a bit of an old thread but, I just watched Trancers on DVD, the film although old and cheesy is quite a fun watch.

The Film is a rated 15 and the Aspect Ratio is 4:3.