Training Day 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
A great film, but unfortunately I think (for me at least) Fuqua peaked with this - over two decades ago! Perhaps The Equalizer 3 will be a work of genius...

Thanks for the review. I'll be adding this to my list of future purchases. :)

Great review,love the movie, winging it's way to me for the weekend.cheers

Will definitely pick this up. A great movie.

Great review. Disc is absolutely stunning. Demo stuff and a great film.

Excellent review Cas. I pick and choose my 4k blu rays carefully and this was certainly worth adding to my collection.

It's a film that stays with you quite some time after you've watched it. The plot is not overly complicated because it doesn't need to be. Most characters don't have a massive amount of screen time but they are all so believable.

Only 8/10 for the movie.. "that's a high roller, dog!"

Love this film, supposedly the final set-piece dialogue was all improvised and not in the script at all. Blinder from Denzel.

Dan

When I was a student, a demo of the end sequence of Training Day in a friend's 5.1 system made me my first taste of the possibilities of home cinema.

This will be controversial, but the new colour grade is more in line of what I remember Training Day looking like in the cinema. It always felt very Los Angeles, with the sun blasting everywhere and even the rain (like when Alonzo takes Jake into his car for the first time) having some light coming through the clouds. The DVD and blu-ray always looked too cold and blue for me, so very happy to watch the iTunes version of the new transfer.

Love this film, supposedly the final set-piece dialogue was all improvised and not in the script at all. Blinder from Denzel.

Dan

Yeah, much like Man on Fire, he insisted on a completely different ending too - both this and Man on Fire were designed to be franchises which, until Equalizer, Washington wasn't having any of.

Personally I'd have preferred a Man on Fire franchise to an Equalizer one, but let's see what E3 brings.

Damn it, I'm trying to save....thanks for the review!

Spectacularly good and quite terrifying film.

DW exceeded himself, and that’s a damned difficult thing to do.

Could have done without Snoop and Dr. Dre. Otherwise an easy 10/10.

Personally I'd have preferred a Man on Fire franchise to an Equalizer one, but let's see what E3 brings.

It's funny that Dakota Fanning who played the little girl in Man on Fire is now his co-star in E3.

Opening this thread has removed £19.99 from my bank account.
It's arriving from Amazon between 8am - 1pm tomorrow.

You’ll not regret it

Seen some screen grabs comparing the blu ray and 4k. It looks completely different in 4k with the colour grading and 10 times better in my view, can’t wait to get the film.

Excellent review, I can’t remember the film but looks like one to check out. I have my copy here ready to view this weekend, can’t wait!

Don’t even think of going on the ‘What was your last blu-ray purchase?’ thread then.

That thing should have some sort of disclaimer.

Seen some screen grabs comparing the blu ray and 4k. It looks completely different in 4k with the colour grading and 10 times better in my view, can’t wait to get the film.
is that screen grabs between the old blu ray and the 4k disc or the remastered blu ray (included in the pack) and the 4k disc?

A great film, but unfortunately I think (for me at least) Fuqua peaked with this - over two decades ago! Perhaps The Equalizer 3 will be a work of genius...

Thanks for the review. I'll be adding this to my list of future purchases. :)
I mean, you can dream of winning the lottery, and there is this dream.

But fair props to you, I envy dreams of this caliber

is that screen grabs between the old blu ray and the 4k disc or the remastered blu ray (included in the pack) and the 4k disc?
Here you go, both. They do Blu Ray to Blu Ray then Blu Ray to 4k HDR. Ideally use Chrome browser to translate. Very good site to use as another view to reviews posted on AV Forums.

Here you go, both. They do Blu Ray to Blu Ray then Blu Ray to 4k HDR. Ideally use Chrome browser to translate. Very good site to use as another view to reviews posted on AV Forums.

thanks, that's really good!

Was going to jump on this to upgrade my old dvd, but it's in the Warner boxset coming in September I think so I'll hang on for that instead...or try anyway.

ICYMI There's a 4K demo of Training Day on YouTube. The first ten mins of the disc. Just make sure your YouTube PQ settings are set to 2160.
WB seem to be doing them for all their new discs (the 4K trailer for Cool Hand Luke looks great too).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom