Traditional Centre as rear back?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jeff, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    If we are moving towards having a single rear back speaker, would a traditional centre speaker be a good choice? Is it best to get the same speaker as used at the front or are we looking for something different?

2. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would use the same speaker as the side surrounds. Why would you choose to use one surround back speaker? I think using two sounds much better.

3. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garmt,
    I think you are generalizing again. I think it very much depends on the individual set up/room.
    I know you have a lex and use Logic 7 hence your liking for 7 speakers but I think you would need more info before making a statment like that.

Chip

4. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am saying that having heard not only my own, but several other 7-channel setups, which always had a more convincing back surround sound than the ones with only one back surround. It is very hard to even distinguish the sound of one back surround speaker from the front center speaker. With two speakers, this is much easier. This his to do with the workings of human hearing, which has problems distinguishing between sound directly on front and directly behind the listener. This indeed is one of the main reasons Lexicon uses 7 speakers instead of 6 and why THX also recommends 2 back surround speakers. Using 2 instead of 1 back surround will also enlarge the sweet spot.

I am just trying to give my opinion, because this is what a forum is for. It would probably be better to just copy/paste "try for yourself" in each and every thread... :)

5. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garmt,
    Don't get me wrong. Your opinion is very welcome. I'm just saying that the same set up cannot be optimum for all. (IMO)

Chip

6. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    garmtz, i thought thx were now advocating the use of one back surround speaker or if using two, to put them together. i'm not saying this is best but i am sure its the thx ultra 2 specs.

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I also had this quandry and tbh i found that a matching surround had better synergy and integration than another centre mounted at the rear.This was Tannoy Revolutions.Just my tupence worth.

8. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    O.k. Well, here the standard answer to keep everybody happy: try for yourself and see what you like best, one or two back surrounds. Happy now?

Hey, nobody knows what's best, not even THX. We are here to share experiences.

9. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    garmtz, that's why chip wants to come and stay with you-to share your experiences!:)

10. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  11. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :kisses: :kisses: :blush: :kisses: :kisses:
    I'm trying to find a cheap flight :D but I'm bringing my own speakers over.

Chip