Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Trading in my Denon A1D for the Denon AVR-3801, what do you think ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dUnKle, Mar 15, 2001.

Tags:
  1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,237
    Is it worth it ?
    More a question out of interest than any other reason.
    I have demoed the award winning A1SE and did not notice much difference between its standard 5.1/DTS modes and that of the A1D. I was also not blown away by the new 6.1 formats.
    Just wandered what people think

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    Are you mad?

Keep the A1D. more power, THX, more quality,
    better sound, better looking.
    I must say, I have no intention of trading mine in even for an A1SE.
    A am totally satisfied and am not drawn by the hype machine surrounding 6.1.
    You need more speakers aswell!.
    Don't even think about it unless you go for the A1SE and money is no object.

Jules

3. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,237
    Nah im not actually going to do it, like I said I demoed the A1SE and found that apart from the new sound formats ( which are not that special ) it was just the same as the A1D

------------------
    You don't have to have a huge screen or the biggest speakers to have a true home cinema. Many people have lost the point in the middle of this boom of technology. At the end of the day it all boils down to the FILMS!!!

"You're one ugly motherf**ker."

4. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do I have to answer this? My AVC-A1D is going nowhere, yes if I was buying today I would buy an A1SE but I'm happy with my A1D and certainly wouldn't change it for a 3801 (as good as it is).

5. Relay

Relay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Haven't heard the 3801. If I was buying today
    I'd probably get the A1SE but I'd only change my A1D(bearing in mind the low second hand value) when Prologic 2 becomes available. That seems like it could be the next worthwile step forward. Also it must be difficult to get extra speaker(s) to match existing ones to take advantage of the extra channel.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say that in total contrast to the above posts i, was/am wholly convinced of the benefits of EX/ES and ES Discreet is just absolutely fabulous. Never mind the film The Haunting DTS Discreet is THE reference audio disc and if you honestly believe that there's "not much in it" between plain vanilla 5.1 and 6.1 then what can i say, horses for courses i guess but i know i certainly would not wish to be without the facility to the extent that i listen to all dvd's now with a rear surround (official EX release or not!!) for me it really gives that total immersion.

Regards

SteveEX

7. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,237
    Were will total sound immersion end ?

How long before we have to have speakers in floors and ceilings, im guessing some bright spark is trying to emulate this as we speak.

The one thing that has struck me recently is just how much emphasis is put on sound these days. Does a 5.1 ( or more ) soundtrack make a film better ? Just look at classics such as 12 angry men and remember that its just a film

8. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i made an attempt to ask the dude from dts that question, but i dont know if it will be presented to him or not, would be interested to hear his answer.

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, then Jesus H

9. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have the AVC-A1SE and I would not be without the rear channels. I have the Haunting dts ES disk as mentioned by SteveEX and it is simply the best sound ever, with effects coming from all around, placed far beyond the boundaries of the walls and positioned with amazing precision. If you recon that ES discreet sounds the same or only slightly better that 5.1 then you've missed something at the demo stage. It DOES blow it away.
    Mark

[This message has been edited by MarkB (edited 19-03-2001).]

10. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MarkB, don't deny what you say is true. The problem comes when you have invested nearly £2000 in a product (my AVC-A1D) which I think is fabulous. If I got £1000 part-ex (possible if I part ex at the dealer I bought it from although he would struggle to sell it for that) against a £2500 AVC-A1SE whould I feel that the extra £1500 plus speakers is worth it? My answer at this point in time is no, although there is no doubt in my mind that if I were buying today I would buy an AVC-A1SE. Having "invested" in an AVC-A1D I am quite happy to enjoy that for a few more years before taking the plunge into EX.

I had a demo of EX at the Bristol show in one of the Denon rooms, very impressive, but I can wait.

11. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had Duncan's original question been "shall I part ex my A1D for an A1SE?" the answer would have been "yes, if you can afford it". But I'm not certain about changing an AVC-A1D for a 3801.

12. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0