Trading - help on pricing / postage costs etc

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have used the classifieds here before and ebay, but usually for fairly newish items
However, having just had out first baby, I'm being rather indepth in my housekeeping and plan on selling a large range of blu rays, games, books, and even hd-DVDs

Firstly, what's best way to get an idea on prices ?
I'm wanting to sell low, but not music magpie low but certainly some of the older stuff I'll be happy to shift for couple of quid etc

Also how do I best work out postage and packing
I'm rather anal about my packing, so if any of the previously used packing around the house is not suitable I have to buy new Jiffy bags, I also like to send each item so it has to be signed for, more for piece of mind of buyer

However I recently had a bit of an arse on ebay complain that I had overcharged him ! Despite actually being slightly out of pocket on the postage

Is there a ready reckoner anywhere, something that lists item and postage
For example, cost of a blu ray, cost of a blu ray box set, cost of a hard back book ?

I also have some rather large, hard back graphic novels that I would look at selling, but how much would these cost to post ?

Also how do I best work out postage if multiple items are purchased ?
I would like to give a discount for bulk purchases but this is where I have tended to end up being out of pocket postage wise

Your best bet is to check out the postage price guide on the Royal Mail website. That will answer most of your questions I think.

Also, if you are selling an item for a couple of quid, you really just want to use basic second class postage. The cost of the postage these days you'd probably be better off putting it straight in the bin!

Lol, cheers,
Am I correct in thinking Royal Mail you pay by size and weight ?
Will the Royal Mail site also assist in multiple purchased etc ?

The graphic novels, especially the big marvel hardbacks are weighty and large

Lol, cheers,
Am I correct in thinking Royal Mail you pay by size and weight ?
Will the Royal Mail site also assist in multiple purchased etc ?

The graphic novels, especially the big marvel hardbacks are weighty and large

Yes, you do pay by size and weight. The website below shows you exactly what you need.
Get a price | Royal Mail Group Ltd

Ideally you want to get it so the DVDs come into the large letter rate. It will be significantly cheaper than if it goes into the small parcel bracket. Fairly thin jiffy bags are what you need as you are allowed up to 25mm thick for larger letter.

Went to post office,shocked that second class signed for for a blu is now 1.90 !

Also is there any value in hd-DVDs ? Have 100 or so

get the padded envelopes in pound shops

or 100 here on amazon for ÂŁ7.40, round up to 8p each . Probably 6 pack in pound shop for ÂŁ1

typical blu ray weighs 4 - 5 ounches, 110-140 grams

envelopes such as one above is classified as a large letter, so

ÂŁ1.24 1st class
ÂŁ1.17 second class

according to royal mail site

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Cheers, yeah actually went with that setup today and had it weighed, signed for second class as I said, can't believe how prices have show up,

Went to post office,shocked that second class signed for for a blu is now 1.90 !

Also is there any value in hd-DVDs ? Have 100 or so

must have used the wrong packaging or posted a steelbook, no way is it that price

should be classed a large letter if using correct packaging

royal mail size and weight formats

don't use jiffy bags, padding to thick so classed a small package

you need these

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Cheers, yeah actually went with that setup today and had it weighed, signed for second class as I said, can't believe how prices have show up,

sorry but if you used the size enveloped I linked too then you were over charged. get the ones I said, weigh it yourself, go back in to post and if the person tries it again, tell them off in a non polite manner.

PO near me is a joke, used to try to charge me different amounts for posting blu rays, depended on who served you,

to be fair, assuming dUnKle is getting his prices based on signed for then I don't think he is being over-charged. Standard 2nd class post yeah, that is over-priced but signed for, I'm not so sure.

Forget the post office for anything over large letter, Hermes is what you want

Link your eBay auctions and it imports them , pay with paypal, press print and all the labels are ready to go

ÂŁ2.78 for up to 1kg insured for ÂŁ50 with tracking and drop off at a local shop up to 11pm in most cases

Take a book over 1kg to the post office and you'll get a bit of a shock

Better still if you just want rid of them take them to a boot sale , I just wanted rid of mine, had about 35, set up at 6am by 6:30 I'd sold about 10 at ÂŁ2 each then a guy came along at bought the rest in one job lot

Don't take anything you want decent money for, there's only 2 types at boot sales , those that want everything for ÂŁ2 and those looking for stuff to sell on eBay

Cheers

The actual price for 2nd class signed for is 1.83 in envelopes the same as you posted, I purchased 100 of them few weeks back for 1 x Blu Ray

For 2 or 3 its 3.90 !

I think the blu rays / HD - DVDs I will just pop in classified at ÂŁ3.50 a pop - every little helps

My Graphic Novels will be My Hermes but found at least 1 local collector who will look at what i want so dont have to worry about postage

A word of caution when using the new couriers that have popped up (Hermes and the like). I was going to send a DVD player I had sold in the classifieds but for some reason I though I would check the 'prohibited goods' list for a laugh, and down in there among the acids and explosives was 'electrical items' !

I'm in a similar situation regarding a house clearance - the problem is it takes so much time workout what everything is worth, and lots of things are hard to post - but I can't just throw it away - right?

Got a couple of hundred DVDs for example, plus random electrical goods.

Electricals aren't prohibited, they may be restricted as in the they won't pay compensation if they get damaged but if you pack them properly that won't be a problem

Try claiming from one of the expensive couriers that do say they'll cover them , I bet your packaging will be insufficient unless it's been run over by a forklift

Yes you're right - they are on the 'excluded and prohibited items' page, so you don't get compensation (which amounts to much the same thing if it is an item of any value).

I'd never send anything under ÂŁ20 signed for, just get a proof of posting, if they say the didn't get it claim from RM

I've had a couple that said it didn't arrive

My standard response is

That's fine, I'll refund and claim from RM, I have a proof of posting so all I need from you is a reply stating you haven't received it and are aware thatclaiming compensation from RM for an item that has been received is a criminal offence

Funnily enough, a neighbour has it or it arrived this morning

What good idea, thanks, will do that

but I can't just throw it away - right?

Got a couple of hundred DVDs for example.

Fixes eyes in hypnotic gaze

You want to give them to a DVD obsessed moderator

:laugh::p

Fixes eyes in hypnotic gaze

:laugh::p