Tradesman has screwed me over

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KhalJimbo, Jul 18, 2019.

1. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +792
    Hello, after some advice here on what to do next.

We moved into our new build property at the end of May and needed to get some work done to the back garden. Turf laid, patio and seating area created and what not. We chose this particular tradesman as one of his specialties is outdoor kitchens and built in BBQs which I’ve always wanted.

Long story short, work was meant to be done and completed during the 2nd week of June while we were on a family holiday. Granted the weather was terrible that week it was delayed. Now almost 8 weeks later we have the turf and patio we wanted but still only half a built in BBQ ( the brick structure )as he has not been able to source the granite for the worktop.

We paid some of the money up front so he could get the supplies etc but we have been asked a few times to pay some more of the final bill early due to the cost of the granite.

Now almost two weeks ago we got a text saying can we pay the remainder as he has sourced the granite but needs more money to pay for it and will come in the next few days to fit it. I reluctantly (and somewhat foolishly) agreed while making clear I’m not comfortable doing so. I was assured I won’t be let down.

Fast forward almost two weeks and there has been no sign of this guy, no answer to texts or phone calls, or emails or Facebook messages. We are pretty certain our mobile numbers are blocked as calling from our mobiles rings once and goes straight to voicemail, calling from work and hiding our Caller ID and his phone rings fine.

Any idea on what we can do to get some traction (and no I don’t mean send any around etc, I don’t even know anyone to send around anyway lol). I’ve been reading around and it seems I’m **** out of luck if we can’t get hold of the guy. Apart from just leaving bad reviews on his Facebook etc what else can I do. I really don’t want to chalk this up to just being an expensive lesson.

Any advice on any governing bodies etc I can go to? Maybe my local council? He came across as a really genuine guy and quite nice but it honestly feels like he’s just taken our money now and run.

2. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,631
    Get someone to request his services for a new kitchen build then be in the othe room.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. MrFraggle

MrFraggle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,232
    I know it is of no help but you never pay all up front.
    If you have his details then what about the small claims court?

4. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,763
    All very well saying that but I've always thought when we have agreed a retainer (which we always do) that the retainer never seems enough to stop someone running from a botch. Luckily, I have never had to test that concern.

Cheers,

Nigel

5. MrFraggle

MrFraggle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,232
    I have never paid up front except to cover materials, I like to see the job finished before settle up.

6. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +792
    That’s just the thing. We only paid half up front. He kept coming back though saying sourcing the granite in the size we need is getting difficult to source and is costing more so we stupidly agreed to pay more towards it off the final bill so he could source the materials. Afraid I might just have to publicly go on his Facebook and call him out as there doesn’t seem to be any other options really if he is ignoring us.

7. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Forget "Facebook" - small claims court is the way to go!

8. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,919
    Where you from? I will go round if nearby.

9. officerdibble11

officerdibble11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    If he has taken the money and not done the work its theft, a builder in the news around here this week just got two years for an extension he didnt do but was paid for Businessman jailed after keeping money meant for house extension so try the old bill, failing that small claims court, dont let him get away with it.

10. eastsoutheast

eastsoutheast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    New quote with you present, confront and hopefully resolve. Good luck and not sure where your based but will happily be a friend or long lost cousin in attendance if close to bedfordshire.

11. deans6571

deans6571

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    ...then call him from a work number and ask him what's going on, surely??!

12. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    This. Also make out your a different customer and send him to a known address by you. Then confront him.

13. Ste7en

Ste7en
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,586
    Paying up front for anything neuters you. Too late now but never do it.

One time I had some gardening work done. Tidy up a front garden, remove a stump etc. Gardener came and gave it a bit of a tidy up. Then popped the bill through the door.

Weeks went buy and I started to get threatening letters about solicitors etc. as I hadn't paid the final bill. I pointed out I wasn't paying a final anything as the work we had agreed upon hadn't been completed. More weeks passed.

Then, one day, I pulled up out the front of our house and our garden was an oasis. It looked incredible.

The gardener only lived around the corner so I went round with a cheque to pay him. He started being a dick about taking me to court. Said I was in breach of contract. I pointed out that the contract was void when he billed me for the full amount after only doing a fraction of the work agreed. "Now you have finally obligated your end of the contract here is your payment" I handed him the cheque. He grumbled something and shut his front door.

14. Chillie6

Chillie6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,589
    Was it playing don’t look back in anger:D