• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Trade my motor

Garry123

Anybody used “trade my motor”? My wife wants to get shot of her car. It still has outstanding finance on it, but “trade my motor” will settle the finance.

Obviously not a great price for the car, but it more than covers what she owes. Just worried that once we hand the car over they will take ages paying the finance off.

I've heard bad things about we buy any car.

MajorGFX

Standard Member
What is stopping you from selling it privately, probably for better money, and for peace of mind that YOU will then pay the finance?

Apart from being lazy. :)

chippyteaforme

Anybody used “trade my motor”? My wife wants to get shot of her car. It still has outstanding finance on it, but “trade my motor” will settle the finance.

Obviously not a great price for the car, but it more than covers what she owes. Just worried that once we hand the car over they will take ages paying the finance off.

I've heard bad things about we buy any car.

... but what makes you think these will be any better? It's like those 'Cash4Gold' sites, and 'Housebuyer' sites. There's loads of clones, all morally bankrupt, praying on people who need quick cash in this economic climate. It's not going to be a nice, charitable chap who will give you what your car is worth, and I'd have no faith at all in the quotation you are given on the site.

However, if you do go ahead with it, let us know (honestly) how you get on :)

When I needed a quick sale on dad's car, WeBuyAnyCar offered £6,000. Book was about £8,000.

I put it on eBay for £7,250, got haggled down to £7,000 by a dealer and he picked it up on a trailer as he already had a buyer - he came from Scotland, brought loads of ID, did the bank-transfer here, I got the funds within 2 hours, everyone was happy. Absolutely lovely bloke. I got a *fair* price, he got a good car, everyone was happy!

I got £1,000 more than WeBuyAnyCar offered (and no doubt they would have haggled 20% off their quote anyway!!), no admin fees, and I didn't even have to leave the house (I hadn't even learned to drive at this point so couldn't have taken it anywhere anyway!)

Last edited:

jassco

Distinguished Member
I got a quote from wbac when I was selling mine, and then phoned around a few dealers asking if they'd be interested for £1k more - the third one took it. As they were the same company that I had the finance with (Citroen) this was all cleared off immediately :smashin:

Exemplar

Banned
WBAC offered £180 for my 2005 Grand Scenic...

WhyAyeMan

... but what makes you think these will be any better? It's like those 'Cash4Gold' sites, and 'Housebuyer' sites. There's loads of clones, all morally bankrupt, praying on people who need quick cash in this economic climate. It's not going to be a nice, charitable chap who will give you what your car is worth, and I'd have no faith at all in the quotation you are given on the site.

However, if you do go ahead with it, let us know (honestly) how you get on :)

When I needed a quick sale on dad's car, WeBuyAnyCar offered £6,000. Book was about £8,000.

I put it on eBay for £7,250, got haggled down to £7,000 by a dealer and he picked it up on a trailer as he already had a buyer - he came from Scotland, brought loads of ID, did the bank-transfer here, I got the funds within 2 hours, everyone was happy. Absolutely lovely bloke. I got a *fair* price, he got a good car, everyone was happy!

I got £1,000 more than WeBuyAnyCar offered (and no doubt they would have haggled 20% off their quote anyway!!), no admin fees, and I didn't even have to leave the house (I hadn't even learned to drive at this point so couldn't have taken it anywhere anyway!)

Indeed.

I recently had to sell my 350Z to clear some debts, and rid myself of a car that was going to be a very expensive ongoing liability.

The odds weren't in my favour, high miles, no service history (yes I know, not my doing), high road tax etc etc.

WBAC offered just £3,650. I stuck it on ebay for £5K and got haggled down to £4,500, car sold in a week. £850 better off (and then some, I shouldn't wonder) from going down this route.

Definitely worth it. I find that if you price your car competitively, with a good and comprehensive advert, you will sell it quickly. If, like most people, you expect more than its worth, expect to wait a while.

Eric

Distinguished Member
WBAC are buggers. They offer you £x on the website, but when you take it down, the guy that looks it over gets paid more the more he can knock you down from the original price.

They will pick ANYTHING to get the price down. Even the tiniest scratch, they will try and knock £200 off.

A friend of a friend works there and he said they have only ever paid out the full amount once that he knew of. The car was immaculate and they could not find any fault.

Its a front company for Car Craft IIRC, its how they get there stock for the showrooms normally.

Last edited:

muppetman74

There is an advantage to WBAC - they don't really check the mechanicals on the cars! Well, not in my experience.

I used WBAC about 3 years ago. I had read the stories about them knocking you down etc. when you take you car in, so I deliberately missed out obvious scratches, kerbed alloys etc. Gave in on a few things with the smarmy "salesman", told him to eff off on a couple of (non-existent) "blemishes" and reached a "deal" - he took the car for a spin around the car park and walked off happy that he had scored my Audi for £2k under book.

However, I was the one smiling. I had a really nice Audi A6 which developed a power loss above 30mph necessitating an almost full engine rebuild with bottom end replacement a year out of warranty. £2.5k repair at mates rates with some recon parts. and almost no labour charge. It also needed new disks and pads all round, and almost needed new tyres on the front (18" wheels, so not cheap). Oh, and was well overdue a service (by about 30,000 miles :0 )

There was no way I could sell this car privately without disclosing the faults - and by doing so, I would be unlikely to sell it or have to take very low offers. WBAC took my car off my hands (on a Good Friday, no less!), got the cash transferred the same day and made much more than I could from any other method.

However, I have heard horror stories...

Eric

Distinguished Member
Result! Basically if its internally knackered, WBAC are great!

There is an advantage to WBAC - they don't really check the mechanicals on the cars! Well, not in my experience.

I used WBAC about 3 years ago. I had read the stories about them knocking you down etc. when you take you car in, so I deliberately missed out obvious scratches, kerbed alloys etc. Gave in on a few things with the smarmy "salesman", told him to eff off on a couple of (non-existent) "blemishes" and reached a "deal" - he took the car for a spin around the car park and walked off happy that he had scored my Audi for £2k under book.

However, I was the one smiling. I had a really nice Audi A6 which developed a power loss above 30mph necessitating an almost full engine rebuild with bottom end replacement a year out of warranty. £2.5k repair at mates rates with some recon parts. and almost no labour charge. It also needed new disks and pads all round, and almost needed new tyres on the front (18" wheels, so not cheap). Oh, and was well overdue a service (by about 30,000 miles :0 )

There was no way I could sell this car privately without disclosing the faults - and by doing so, I would be unlikely to sell it or have to take very low offers. WBAC took my car off my hands (on a Good Friday, no less!), got the cash transferred the same day and made much more than I could from any other method.

Exemplar

Banned

Note to all members - do not buy anything from this man..

booyaka

WBAC was fine when we wanted to punt the wife's 11 year old clio. Worth about £900 in good nick but had engine management light on and abs light on. They offer £700 for it and job done in about 5 mins.

Considering local garage advised to fix the issues it had would have been around £900, I was happy with WBAC.

muppetman74

Note to all members - do not buy anything from this man..

That's (sort of) my point - I would never knowingly sell something faulty to a private individual (my conscience wouldn't stand it), but I didn't feel bad about trading this in to WBAC. I guess my reasoning was that they are a business and should check cars over fully before trading in. The reason (I suspect) they don't is because they are getting the cars so cheap (compared to trade value), it's not worth it for them and odds are in their favour to make money on the deal.

It's probably still wrong, but I can justify it in my own mind :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom