1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trade-in value of new-ish xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by flack, Mar 29, 2005.

1. flack

flack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm new here so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong section of the forum.

Anyway, I bought an xbox on impulse two weeks ago and now I want to sell it. Anyone know how much I can get for it at Game or Gamestation?

Thanks for all inputs!

2. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just go down and ask. you will probably get something like £50 for it, they will sell it for about £80 second hand.

why do you want to get rid btw, the xbox is brilliant, i would get it chipped and use it for other things than gaming myself. i have and im using my box as a media centre, web station, snes and n64 emulator. and its really not that hard to setup.

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    wher'd you buy it? if its within 14 days and its from a major high street retailer you should be able to take it back for a full refund.

4. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    why dont you sell it on the forums, but personally i would keep it!

5. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Agree everything said above - if new enough just take it back for a refund. If not you'll (probably) get a better price selling it on here then taking it in to a shop.

6. flack

flack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The xbox does have great graphics and judging from the hardware itself, it's obvious Microsoft are selling them at a loss - I'm not one of those who insist that one console is better than another.

Anyway, like I mentioned earlier, I bought the xbox on impulse and thus didn't realise there are no cheats available for the games (only saves and limited trainers). Unlike most gamers who like the challenge of repeating "missions" until they beat them, I get hugely frustrated after a certain number of attempts - not good after a long day of work! Besides, applying cheats help replayability and exploration. But I digress...

I cannot return the xbox because the shop I got it from specifically exculdes consoles in their return policy. Getting it chipped would increase its functionality, but that would cost more money and there's still the problem of cheat devices. £50 is pretty low but keeping it wouldn't help me enjoy it more - I'll take it as lesson to not buy without researching carefully next time. What do you guys think is the maximum amount I can sell it for privately, after subtracting delivery costs?

Thanks again!

7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    errr, gamefaqs.com

8. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
  9. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
  10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There are cheats available for the xbox as any other system. Books and books of them for virtually every game as any other format. See ebay, and action replay as already mentioned, the web etc etc etc :rolleyes:

11. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +547
    Gamewinners. :smashin:

PS, get it chipped/softmodded, opens up a whole world of possibilities, including the fantastic XBMC and my favourite, Xlink Kai, especially now I've got a Linksys WRT54G router, turn the PC off and still play online! :clap:

12. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Interesting shop, and even more interesting returns policy.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get £70 for a 2 week old xbox.

13. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Is the shop argos by any chance? They don't offer their usual 16 day approval on gaming stuff!

14. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    not such a surprise as Game dont include console hardware in their returns policy, it is stated on their counter displays.

15. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Maybe a good reason to buy mail order.

Can they be returned under the distance selling rules?

Anyway, I agree that some annoying games are in need of cheats etc, but those are generally not worth playing anyway.

I would be more annoyed with a game I walked straight through by cheating instead of using my brain a bit ;)

16. flack

flack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the inputs guys! The Xbox is now gone.

I must admit that people who can get through a game without cheats are really skillful and patient. Going by those qualities, I'm an extremely casual gamer. I hope people will not disparage me for putting so much stock in a cheats device. Personally, I do get that great sense of achievement when I finally clear a mission/stage by my own steam, but all that frustration (and costly consequences of taking it out on controllers, hehe) involved greatly overwhelms and outweight said feel-good factor.

I do agree it's a bad idea to cheat through a game blindly. I don't know how many here have played GTA:SA, but I enjoyed that game immensely with a good balance of skills and cheats. For example, the flight school missions were a big pain - I did disable the timer but learned to fly the plane through the coronas well enough. The "Carl, learn to fly!" line irritates the bejessuz out of me and I'm ever grateful to the folks at Action Replay!

Anyway, sorry for the rant! Just wanted to explain why people who depend on cheat devices shouldn't be judged harshly.