Trade in the hi quality stereo for AV?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Audionyx, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hello all,

I am currently running an Arcam CD23T with Musical Fidelity A3.2 pre/power amps for hifi and Arcam DV27 and Denon 3802 for AV. Both systems run through newly purchased Kef Q7/Q9/Egg system.

I am in a real mental quandary whether to ditch the stereo kit and upgrade to Arcam AV8 processor and Rotel RMB-1075 amp.

Having tried the DV27 with my Pre/Power amps, while there is a VERY SLIGHT decrease in dynamics and transpareny, I am prepared to use this as my digital music source.

Does anyone have experience of the AV8/Rotel 1075 combi and recommend this or would I be sacrificing excellent music performance for this setup?

Any thoughts would be appreciated as ever, especially from the HT engineers.

Many thanks

Darren

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Hi Darren,

Cant help you with the AV8/Rotel question,but I did do exactly what you're contemplating,and sold off most of a good hifi system to make way for an AV system.

I had a set of triamped Linn Keltiks fed by Krell monoblocs,from a Linn/Perpetual Technologies front end.

I can honestly say that the current system(see below)gets used far more,and enjoyed a lot more,with little loss of absolute fidelity,especially when the processor is switched out.

3. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Alex,

Thank you for quick response. I spend too much time on these excellent forums!!

I have heard the AV8/P7 in a dem room and thought it was amazing - very good in stereo too - was hooked up to the DV27 which IMHO is about the best DVD for CD playback.

I fell in love (I hope my missus will not see this!) with the MF pre/power amps for their dynamic ability and transpareny. Today there is a convergence between high-end AV and stereo and therefore I feel that my needs may be served by a single system. I use my system(s) 50/50 music/film.

I am very careful how I spend my money and try not to borrow (ok maybe the odd £300-£500 on credit card!!) so want the best value for money from my purchase.

Need to stop spending soon as the planned pitter/patter of tiny feet is not too far away!!

Regards

Darren

4. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought an AV8 and also have an FMJ CD23 CD player (not the T version). I've been toying with the idea of ditching the CD23 (or relegating it to a stereo-only system) and replacing it (and my current Wharfedale DVD player) with, say, an Arcam DVD player. To that end and in order to assess the DACs in the AV8 I've tried using the CD23 as a transport using the DACs in the AV8. I believe (and this is a fairly sketchy understanding) that the DACs in the Arcam DVD players are quite similar to those in the AV8. If that is the case then, for me, ditching the CD23 is a compromise too far. The AV8's DACs sound nice but they really can't compete with the lovely organic sound produced by the CD23's RingDAC (IMHO).

BTW the CD23 thru the AV8 using 'Stereo Direct' sounds great.

Regards,

Jules.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Having listened to a DV27 hooked into an AV8/P7 combination I can tell you that it sounded significantly better in stereo direct (bypass) mode than it did using the processor's DACs. Don't use the performance of the AV8's DACs playing music as an indicator of the DV27's abilities as a CD player. They may use the same DACs but the surrounding circuitry has a lot of influence too.

The DV27 is really a pretty good CD player. It's probably not the equal of the CD23, but (I am told) it can give Arcam's CD92 a run for its money. There are some DVD players that do an even better job than the DV27 if you want to pay a bit more: the Meridian 596, for example is very impressive.

There is, of course, no reason why you shouldn't continue to use the CD23 for CD playback using the AV8 as a pre-amp and a DV27 purely for DVD duties. This would be an expensive combination but an extremely effective one.

6. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NicolasB,

When I bought the CD23 I bought it as my 'last CD player ever'. I still haven't heard anything which I much prefer. My personal opinion is that, for me, it's still a little early in DVDs life-cycle to spend serious money on a DVD player. To that end I think I'll get a universal player (DVD-A/SACD) with Pal Prog Scan as soon as one is available for less than 400 pounds. Then, I'll wait and see what happens with the hi-res audio format war before buying an uber-DVD player.

Looks like there's a few months service left for my Wharfedale!

Regards,

Jules.

7. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Gentlemen,

Some good advice and experiences there - thank you. I realise that the CD23 does give a more transparent (often vinyl-like) performance so this is one factor I must seriously consider.

Also interested of anyone's experience with the Rotel RMB-1075. Is it good enough for stereo??

Thanks for your help

Darren

8. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Agree with most of the brothers on this.
    I think that you can get yourself a darn fine system today, that can give you hours of joy with both your CD collection & a proposed DVD collection.
    There really are some very good allrounders nowadays.
    Flexibility is the key here & most of the respected wallet surgeons have some tempting stuff.
    You can get some rather cool DSP's that can turn your 2 channel CD's into multichannel bliss.
    As you are an Arcam fan, their AV kit is very good indeed.
    I think you'd be happy as a pig in shyte with their stuff.
    Haven't heard the Rotel amp you mention, but there are plenty of owners of Rotel kit on here...Do a search.

Adzman

9. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    can't help thinking you should get the matching power amp (P7) if your looking at the av8. i too will probably buy the av8/p7 soon as the stereo performance from my denon a1se is just not good enough anymore! i tried a home dem of the av8 and a rotel 1095 and to be honest, wasn't that impressed with the power amp. it just wasn't musical enough and sounded a bit bright with my M&K speakers - thos are my thoughts anyway, don't let that put you off!

10. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    dts_boy

Would love to get the P7 but funds dictate a more cost effective option!

This is really doing my bulb in as I have to decide by tomorrow my course of action - geeeez!

Thanks

Darren

11. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    get the processor, use the mf power that you already have and then maybe some more mf powers later? or listen to the av8 and rotel with your speakers and decide for yourself;)

12. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren,

Have you considered the Roksan Caspian 5-channel power amp? It's probably not as powerful on paper as the Rotel but, since your speakers are reasonably efficient and it has lots of current, it should drive them well into ear-bleeding territory with no problem. It's also a fantastically transparent and musical amp and at 1000 pounds it's a bit of a bargain.

Regards,

Jules.

13. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Jules,

Had not considered that amp. I know that the Rotel is held in high regard as a good entry to multichannel power amplification of a high standard.

Thanks for your advice - will try to check the specs etc later.

Regards

Darren

14. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Darren,

I am glad you like the AV8 - please go for it :)

One halfway house solution on power amps is to use a P85 and P85/3 from our DiVA range - this works out at about half the cost of the P7 and the amps are very saleable later on if you eventually get a P7.

The circuitry is quite similar and the amps put out around 100WPC continuous power into 8 ohms, 160WPC into 4 ohms.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

15. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Assuming you're not having to sell the MF power amps to afford the AV8 (plus poweramp) upgrade ...

How about looking at keeping the MF power amps for now and getting either something like a P85/3 or the Rotel RMB1066 or RMB1075 to power centre and rear channels - even better if you could get a third MF poweramp for the centre ... then ... as your finances allow ... you could then look at the Arcam P7 (or Krell or Byrson or whatever...)

Another thing ... are you planning a speaker upgrade later as I've heard it said that using speakers such as the KEF Q series wouldn't give you the best from kit such as the AV8/P7.

Victoria

17. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    John,

Thanks for your response. Obviosuly you would advocate a product that so much time and effort has been invested in ;-).

I called your excellent support line today to make enquiries regarding the stereo performance. I gather the pre amplifier stage is as good, if not better than the one in the A32. Funds dictate a modest power amp so will have to think carefully - heart set on Rotel for the time being.

Jules,

Thanks for info.

Sounddog,

I just exchanged Kef Eggs and B&W CDM1NT for Kef Q. Much better sound - not as harsh and taxing as the 1NT's could be. Made me realise how bad some CD's were! Wanted an easier listening experience and rate the Q7's highly. The centre speaker is now a Q9C which is an upgrade over the Egg!

I may decide to settle for what I have. Who knows how I feel tomorrow.

Thank you for all your help

Darren

18. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Darren

I have gone for the AV8 and traded my A22/DAVe ... I was looking to move into 6/7.1 and also dvd-a and the 3 x component level switching and digital output really has made it the ideal processor ... currently running with a dv27 (awaiting its dvd-a upgrade ;-) and it's great !!

power wise I'm keeping the p25/3 and getting a s/hand p85 for the moment then when funds allow trading those in against a P7 ... almost as John suggested ...

go on ... you know you want to ;-)

rgds

Jon

19. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    The Rotel is a good multichannel power amp in it's price range,but,like all things,if compared to better amps,will sound a bit gutless in the bass,especially when driven hard,or into difficult loads...otherwise,at the price,a good choice.