1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trade in question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DM 73, May 11, 2005.

1. DM 73

DM 73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Is there anyone in the uk that will trade in old amps for new ones.I have a yamaha rxv-2400 and wont to change it for a denon 3805
    :lease:

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Did you mean in terms of dealers?.....if so,there are plenty of hifi/AV dealers that will do so,but do bear in mind that the price you get may not reflect what you'd get from a private sale,and then using the money against a purchase with a dealer.

Trade-ins will always include some sort of margin,which will affect your money.....what I'd do is look around and find some sort of price level for your old amp,and attempt to sell at or around that privately.

3. DM 73

DM 73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Thanks,i was meaning dealers but if i wanted to sell private is there anywhere you could recommend?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Ok....in terms of private sales,you could try here on the forums,and another route is via eBay,but what I would advise is looking at ebay and ex-dem( www.ex-dem.co.uk ) to get some idea of likely prices first,to avoid under- or over-pricing.

Looking at ex-dem will give you an idea of the traders involved in that market,but in practical terms most dealers will have some form of trade-in available,although as i said,the likely amount you will get is going to be significantly lower than via a private sale.

5. DM 73

DM 73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    thanks Alex i'll have a look on e-bay,how and where can i advertise on this forum btw

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
  7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Also you should consider that the 2400 is pretty much the yamaha version of the denon 3805. Unless you'd got big reason for changing your not gonna gain much with respect to feature (unless you want denon link) or performance, unless you really like the denon sound more than the yamaha one.

Don't know if anyone else has had both to tell you there thoughts, but I think you'd be loosing qute a bit of money and not gaining much at all.

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have to agree with Gazbarber, going from a 2400 to a 3805 unless it has something that you cant live without now (eg denon link) is really just a sideways move and not worth the time and money. If you want to bi-amp you would be better off looking into getting a second hand rotel power amp it will be better then the denon doing it.

9. DM 73

DM 73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Thanks for all the advice,the problem i have is when watching dvd's through the coax lead the sound will just cut out for a split second during the movie,some times you can watch a whole film without this happening and then you can watch the same film agian and it will do it every 5 mins.The amp has been back to yam for testing and works perfectly fine so i thought it might be a compatability problem with the denon :lease:

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Have you tried a dirfferent co-ax cable. Tried using optical instead. Just are you totaly sure it is the amp that is making the problem and not the dvd or the connecting cable?

Also have you tried it into a different co-ax slot to isolate if it may be an individual slot?

11. DM 73

DM 73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I,ve tried different coax leads and i've tried a mates dvd player that is the same as mine and it still does it :mad: I've used all the coax inputs too,I've used an optical lead and it never does it but i've allways been told that coax is much better :confused:

12. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Coax is easier to produce(cheaper) a good sound than optical,If you get a good quality optical cable it will be just as good as any coax cable.
    The van den hul optocoupler which you can purchase for around £45 is a excellent optical lead which will sound as good as coax.
    Cheers Gonzo.

13. DM 73

DM 73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Thanks Gonzo,I have bought an optical lead from supra which cost over £50 but have yet to compare it closely with a coax lead,after talking to someone at yam they suggest it may be being caused by an electrical built up thats why it only effects the coax,has anyone else had a problem like this??

14. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    It does sound like a fault and should be fixed. But to be honest if you can't hear a difference between the coax and optical then thats all the counts, thus sod what anyone else says.

On the other hand if you do notice a difference then maybe a conversion to another product may be a good idea.

I know your faith in the brand is probably shot but you can get a 2500 from germany for about 500ish and a 1500 for about 400 odd.

I have never heard of this problem before, lets hope someone else here can sort you out before you end up lossing quite alot of money.