Track ball pointers

Golliwogg

Standard Member
Reaction score
may i know anybody here has any experience using a track ball instead of a mouse? Is it better than a mouse?

Are you talking about the full sized ones or the integrated ones?

The full sized ones aren't bad, and some people prefer them to a mouse. They are far better than a trackpoint/trackpad.

It depends on what you're looking for in a pointing device. A trackball only requires the space of the trackball itself, whereas a mouse requires space around it. If you're an AutoCAD user then you can pan indefinitely with a trackball, whereas with a mouse you run to the edge of the mouse mat and then have to lift it up and start over. Some people claim RSI is less with a trackball, but to be honest if you're overdoing things enough that a [good] mouse is causing you problems, a trackball won't help one bit.

There are a few annoyances though. Although modern trackballs are optical, you still have a moving ball, and I find that it gets gunked up with the same crud that gunked up traditional mice.

There are thumb operated and finger operated trackballs. I have a finger operated and there is a slight problem for using it with AutoCAD. Because you're using your finger to move the cursor, you cannot easily press the middle button (or scroll wheel) at the same time. I find that this slows me down considerably compared to a mouse. A thumb operated trackball is probably better for this.

:thumbsup:
may i know anybody here has any experience using a track ball instead of a mouse? Is it better than a mouse?

I use a Logitech trackball at work instead of a mouse. I got it to help me design in graphics programs being a graphic/web designer, and prefer it because the ball offers alot more sensitivity and control the pointer being in yoru complete fingertips rather than on a mouse where your wrist mopvement is not as controlled.

Trackballs also eliminate ALL problems with surfaces, skipping and jumping etc. Im so used to it now i got rid of my mouse all to0gether and dont think anything of it.

I also have no problem switching back to my mouse at home or on other PC's either.

Totally recommended!!

:thumbsup:

I use a Logitech trackball at work instead of a mouse. I got it to help me design in graphics programs being a graphic/web designer, and prefer it because the ball offers alot more sensitivity and control the pointer being in yoru complete fingertips rather than on a mouse where your wrist mopvement is not as controlled.

If your mouse is heavy enough that you need to use your wrist to do delicate work rather than your fingers I'm not surprised you find a trackball more accurate! :D

i find a trackball not as sensitive as a decent mouse... A good mouse and mousemat(surface) seems to work best for me. gaming mice are fantastic due to the high DPI the sensors are high grade and i can move the mouse 1 pixel at a time quite easily

i find a trackball not as sensitive as a decent mouse... A good mouse and mousemat(surface) seems to work best for me. gaming mice are fantastic due to the high DPI the sensors are high grade and i can move the mouse 1 pixel at a time quite easily

Not sure if I agree with that. I use the large logitech cordless trackman optical and it is very sensitive even compared to the saitek 3200dpi gaming mouse I use. For work use I prefer the track ball.

If you use a laptop on the couch, bed etc, the trackball are a godsend, allowing you to give up on the rubbish trackpad and work/surf in a far more comfortable way.

i use a cordless trackman myself? it might just be that it quickly builds up with gunk, i do all editing with a mouse and the trackballs been demoted to HTPC mouse... which i have to say is fantastic for that use!

trackballs are the bomb...

http://uk.kensington.com/html/7843.html

this is what i recco.... i've never had it but used it for gaming.... RPG, MMO, RTS, and a bit FPS oooh just remembered another one Black and White (wth genre?)

well it obviously depends what ur gonna do with it... it has a mussive scroll ring around the trackball...

its really pricey, but its worth it tbh. I would like to buy one tbh....

oooh i remember playing dungeon keeper for the first time with a track ball then i got totally hooked with them !!!

My experience of the mouse is v. good

heavy duty, big trackball, the scroll is nice...

thing is its been a while since i used it.... my cousin had it and prolly took it to HK with him.... gonna scavenge the UK house...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom