TPS meetup part-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is part two of the TPS meet thread starting here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1646120-tps-meet-up.html

To make sure posters are aware of the topic of this thread, we are discussing the following.

1. The day, any questions on what was shown or talked about on the day of the event.

2. Panasonics 50 range of plasmas and how to calibrate them, why and the differences it makes.

3. How the Lumagen can be used with these sets and what it can help/improve. This is not a thread for discussing the lumagen in itself.

4. The advantages of calibrating these and other sets, what it gives you and how it's
Done.

Banter is fine as long as it doesn't dominate. Any opportunism to gain any for of business on this thread will be dealt with, forum rules need to be read and followed.

You tell em Scoob ... and you may get a bonus wrap :laugh:

"Been so absorbed in recent days by all the interesting goings on that I forgot what I was actually after in the first place!
So here's my question: is there a "basic" model in Panasonic's range? No web browser, iPlayer, Freesat, Skype, card slots, Freeview, speakers, etc etc. I don't really want ANY of that. My last few TVs have all been Panasonic screens with no bells and whistles (currently I have 50PF10), and I was hoping to find the same again now that I'm looking to move up to 55" size." sgt, i believe this is what you are looking for?>Panasonic TC-P55UT50 55" Class Smart TV VIERA UT Series Full HD 3D Plasma HDTV in Plasma Televisions | JR.com

Last edited:
This is part two of the TPS meet thread starting here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1646120-tps-meet-up.html

To make sure posters are aware of the topic of this thread, we are discussing the following.

1. The day, any questions on what was shown or talked about on the day of the event.

2. Panasonics 50 range of plasmas and how to calibrate them, why and the differences it makes.

3. How the Lumagen can be used with these sets and what it can help/improve. This is not a thread for discussing the lumagen in itself.

4. The advantages of calibrating these and other sets, what it gives you and how it's
Done.

Banter is fine as long as it doesn't dominate. Any opportunism to gain any for of business on this thread will be dealt with, forum rules need to be read and followed.

think i broke the rules all ready? was just answering a question a user posted in the last thread trying to be helpful.. sowiiiii:rolleyes:

think i broke the rules all ready? was just answering a question a user posted in the last thread trying to be helpful.. sowiiiii:rolleyes:

It's part of the 50 range(2012) so you're fine.;)

actually i think the uk ut only goes up to a 50" soz mate >Panasonic Viera TX-P50UT50B - Compare Prices - PriceRunner UK

Yeah, every Google result I got for the 55 was in dollars. :( Thanks anyway though, at least I now know what I want isn't there! Even all the pro models on the Panasonic site (which really are a bit pricey anyway) don't seem to include a 55" model.

Oops did I deviate from the guidelines? Ok, I'll rephrase the original question; did the Panasonics on display from TPS include a stripped-down 55" model; and if not, could they have? :D

thought i was going to get the bullet again then lol ,cheers scoob. a question to tps, if they can answer it , are the vt's due for a price drop soon? the cheapest i seen is 3300 but i am aiming at 3000... am i dreaming?

Last edited:
thought i was going to get the bullet again then lol ,cheers scoob. a question to tps, if they can answer it , are the vt's due for a price drop soon? the cheapest i seen is 3300 but i am aiming at 3000... am i dreaming?

TPS can't discuss prices on the thread.;)

to the calibrators,what is the best setup for all my inputs? do i go for each input with its own hdmi eg,hmdi 1-bluray, hdmi2-xbox and so on or do i go for the way it is setup now where i use my av receiver as a hub and only using one hdmi lead?

k17chy said:
to the calibrators,what is the best setup for all my inputs? do i go for each input with its own hdmi eg,hmdi 1-bluray, hdmi2-xbox and so on or do i go for the way it is setup now where i use my av receiver as a hub and only using one hdmi lead?

Things like Sky or virgin, on it's own directly to the TV with an optical cable for sound to your amp.

Blu ray to your amp>amp to tv. Xbox I would go to the amp, but you could go directly to the tv.

Quote: In a correctly lit room at night with low ambient light with a Lumagen will be stunning.

Can I just ask, what is a correctly lit room?
I like to have the lights down low but not off (gives eye strain otherwise). However, with a pendant on a dimmer switch this causes issues if watching 3D content on an active set in terms of flicker.
What are the options? Do a put a light behind the TV? Would LEDs cause flicker?

Things like Sky or virgin, on it's own directly to the TV with an optical cable for sound to your amp.

Blu ray to your amp>amp to tv. Xbox I would go to the amp, but you could go directly to the tv.

i have my bluray and xbox running through my amp now, with it going in to hmdi2 for the arc return for the internal freesat tuner. i have to change viewing modes on the tv when watching bluray switch to pro1 and xbox switch to game. so can you calibrate the viewing modes as well as the inputs?

Last edited:
Quote: In a correctly lit room at night with low ambient light with a Lumagen will be stunning.

Can I just ask, what is a correctly lit room?
I like to have the lights down low but not off (gives eye strain otherwise). However, with a pendant on a dimmer switch this causes issues if watching 3D content on an active set in terms of flicker.
What are the options? Do a put a light behind the TV? Would LEDs cause flicker?

Low level light is fine for normal viewing, ideally not reflecting on the screen. At the side in line with the screen or behind the line of the screen would be prefect, 3D is better viewed in darkness.

I use this one from Ikea, may not suit everyone's decor but works perfectly.
I have one either side of my set just behind it in each corner of my room, but I usually use only one of them.

Attachments

• orgel-vreten-floor-lamp__19859_PE105162_S4.jpg
    orgel-vreten-floor-lamp__19859_PE105162_S4.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
******** @ TPS said:
Low level light is fine for normal viewing, ideally not reflecting on the screen. At the side in line with the screen or behind the line of the screen would be prefect, 3D is better viewed in darkness.

A slightly warm yellow light is also preferable over these super white led bar things isnt it Steve ?

The Lantern type you mentioned is a good idea as you wont see a single point to the light just a general glow in a area.

******** @ TPS said:

I use this one from Ikea, may not suit everyone's decor but works perfectly.
I have one either side in the corners of my room, but usually use only one of them.

Actually that one would work well with my setup personally as my screen is in a corner ( not happy about that tbh but no choice ) that would sit in the corner behind the tv nicely i think. Ill start looking for some ^^

hmmmm if I get the Darbee Darblet thing as I was planning on doing that arrangement won't be possible, well it will but I'd just have to pipe the output from my amp through it and not have Sky going through it which would be a shame. Steve I assume if I had Sky and my PS3 going via my amp and the amp HDMI out to TV via the Darbee it would then be possible to calibrate Pro 1 for Sky and Pro 2 for PS3? Any issues with that at all?

Thanks

hmmmm if I get the Darbee Darblet thing as I was planning on doing that arrangement won't be possible, well it will but I'd just have to pipe the output from my amp through it and not have Sky going through it which would be a shame. Steve I assume if I had Sky and my PS3 going via my amp and the amp HDMI out to TV via the Darbee it would then be possible to calibrate Pro 1 for Sky and Pro 2 for PS3? Any issues with that at all?

Thanks

You could do that. :)

A slightly warm yellow light is also preferable over these super white led bar things isnt it Steve ?

The Lantern type you mentioned is a good idea as you wont see a single point to the light just a general glow in a area.

Yes I think so, we don't want washing powder blue white, put your TV into dynamic for that.

******** @ TPS said:
Yes I think so, we don't want washing powder blue white, put your TV into dynamic for that.

AHHHH NOT THE DYNAMIC ! Seriously Steve why do they put this on tvs i cant think of any situation where im like yes i want my picture to be so neon-esque that i feel im in down town Tokyo.

As for your light/lantern thing what would you class that as when searching online for one ? Im having a dumb moment haha

SgtHowie said:
Yeah, every Google result I got for the 55 was in dollars. :( Thanks anyway though, at least I now know what I want isn't there! Even all the pro models on the Panasonic site (which really are a bit pricey anyway) don't seem to include a 55" model.

Oops did I deviate from the guidelines? Ok, I'll rephrase the original question; did the Panasonics on display from TPS include a stripped-down 55" model; and if not, could they have? :D

No 55" inchers in the professional monitor series plasmas. The VX series monitor is 50" and 65" in this country i think. The BT series is only 42" and 50"

Nevaborn said:
AHHHH NOT THE DYNAMIC ! Seriously Steve why do they put this on tvs i cant think of any situation where im like yes i want my picture to be so neon-esque that i feel im in down town Tokyo.

As for your light/lantern thing what would you class that as when searching online for one ? Im having a dumb moment haha

Are they at ikea?

This is my high-tech super back lighting.....drum roll..............

20120711_160456.jpg

The result is a tad too bright but ok for now....note the neutral walls.:)

2012-05-18%25252000.04.55.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom