TP Powerline Query

Crank090865

Novice Member
Hi,

Unsure if this post is being posted to the correct forum. But here goes....

Router and telephone master socket on ground floor. Am contemplating installing TP Link Powerline extenders to home office on first floor.

Wish to connect laptop, XB1, Android TV and Raspberry pi via Ethernet cable with the option of using laptop via WiFi when needed.

Which TP units are recommended?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Something like this: Amazon product
Although I would be tempted to fit a whole house mesh system, as my experience is that reliability and speed is better than over powerline. I have both at home, as we a music teaching studio where the sound insulation also blocks the wifi to a certain extent, so although the rest of the house is covered by 3 Tp link Deco S4s, theres one of these with a laptop, printer and smart TV plugged in. Generally works very well, but devices won't roam in the same way that they do between the Decos even with the same ssid and password.

Crank090865

Novice Member
Hi and Thankyou for your reply.

That was one of the TP kits I was looking at. I am looking for the most cost effective and stable setup tbh.

So you would suggest looking at Mesh set-ups too?

Does either a Mesh or Powerline setup entail changing the SSIDs etc too?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
In both cases you can copy your current ssid from the router, but with our plusnet router, we get the best results switching it to Modem mode leaving the Decos to provide all WiFi other than in the music room.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom