TP-Link Router dropping connection

Adam H

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Looking for a bit of help, we are with Talk Talk and have used their router for the last 8 months or so, all worked ok but wireless speeds were slow due to next doors routers being more powerful or some other interference but although slower than our actual connection speed it generally worked.

I brought a TP-Link TD-W9980 and this morning after ages trying to set it up , updating the firmware because apparently they dont work with Talktalk without the firmware update. So after all that we are online, wireless connection is better than we've ever had, instead of 5mb on wireless ( from a 40mb connection ) we are now getting a respectable 32 - 35mb.

The trouble is the wireless keeps dropping out, for example just connected the xbox up and half way thought a game of fifa ( every game ) the connection drops and i get disconnected . This never happened on the talk talk router, in the same room, same position and this thing is suppose to be alot better and stronger.

Any ideas ? Ive switched off the 5GHZ wireless to test if that helped, no difference, ive put the xbox IP on DMZ.

Driving me nuts. Any help appreciated.

Just an update on this, Ive temp resolved this issue by using the old TalkTalk router, disabling DHCP and using it as a wireless extender but also keeping the Xbox on the 5Ghz connection.

Its working, but im still disappointed that the TP-link router wasnt man enough on its own especially with a reasonably small two up two down house made of stud walls, the only thing that I can think of is the interference from the neighbours BT routers but as mentioned before although the TalkTalk router was slower over wifi it still worked and didnt drop out..............even trying all the strongest channels.

Hopefully there is a setting someone knows about on the TP-link that ive missed :S

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom