TP-Link RE605X Wi-Fi 6 Range Extender Review & Comments

THX1138UK

TP-Link do some very nice, and inexpensive wired and wireless accessories.

Is the Gigabit port to provide wired connectivity to a device, or to provide backhaul Ethernet to a switch/router rather than using the wireless network? It's not clear from the review.

Regards,
James.

psychopomp1

Is the Gigabit port to provide wired connectivity to a device, or to provide backhaul Ethernet to a switch/router rather than using the wireless network?
The Gigabit port is to provide wired connectivity.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I happen to have a TP-Link Repeater, though not the model in this review. Its ethernet port can be used either for wired backhaul (I believe they call it "AP Mode") or for downstream connected devices/infrastructure ("Repeater Mode") so it would be worth checking the manual for the subject under review to see if they offer the same facilities.

The only serious "vice" my TP-Link Repeater (an RE200) has is that it does some kind of MAC Address spoofing for any devices Associated with it. This means any time I roam to/from my Repeater my clients change IP address (and it take a needlessly long time to roam as a result) which destroys any applications I am running, say streaming a video or backups, that are keying on the client IP address or have an active TCP socket in session. I regard this as rather strange behaviour for such a device, generally Wi-FI Access Points (be they "repeaters" or anything else) don't proxy their client MAC Addresses, I cannot imagine why TPLink chose to do so in my device. It would never have occurred to me to check that anything I was buying did not do so, but having been bitten, I would now want to check any other Repeater/Exender I were to buy does not do the same.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
I used to use TP-Link AC750 WiFi Extender (RE230) in my previous house. I was happy with the Wi-Fi stable, extended range. When it comes to Ethernet port (Gigabit) it worked fine with the ethernet cable feeding the signal from the router, but I had issues if I wanted to use it as an access point (a wired connectivity to a device). One big advantage was that unlike with Xiaomi Range Extender Pro app, I did not have to grant TP all the permissions on my phone. Do you guys have a comparison how do the other brands treats the privacy issues? Netgear, Azurra, Linksys?

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Wi-Fi devices (indeed, network infrastructure devices in general) don't normally get involved in "privacy" issues - that happens much higher up the protocol stack, often in the applications. About the only "special" thing Wi-Fi does is encrypt the data as it travels across the radio airwaves to prevent eavesdropping and even that is optional - you could turn it off if you wanted to - a lot of public access Wi-Fi is unencrypted for example.

Data travels around networks in discrete little units called "packets" like letters in the post. The network infrastructure devices are like the sorting office - they simply relay the packets from one place to another, they don't open all the mail and read it to make qualitative decisions about whether to allow it or not.

There are such devices that do such things, but it's "over and above" what is needed for a data network - it works to varying levels of success and usually cost much more than basic AP's, routers and switches.

Pendant alert - if you have an Wi-Fi "extender" cabled back to your router, then such as device is an "Access Point" (it's almost the very definition of the term.) Using a radio backhaul link, then onward connecting to other wired devices is something else, though there's various terms used - some call it a "bridge" (though that has other meaning too,) some call it a "mesh" link (though that has other meanings to,) I've even seen it described as a "Reverse Access Point." There seems to be no common definition.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
@mickevh Thanks. I am referring to the privacy settings of the app on your phone. Xioaomi requires an app installation, account registration and granting phone permissions.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom