TP Link Network Switch

raymondo17

Standard Member
Hope someone can help.
I have installed a TP Link Network Switch (5 port) in the garage, this is hardwired from VM Router via CAT5e cable (approx. 12mts), from the Network Switch I feed two TV's and a CCTV recorder, these are working fine, I have also ran a CAT5e cable from the switch to a garden office (approx 35mts) I have tested the cable with a CAT5e cable tester and everything is OK, when I plug the cable into my laptop it states that the cable is not connected after I have ran the trouble shooter.
Any ideas where my problem lies

Thanks in advance

oneman

I take it the laptop works OK on other Ethernet connections ? And you have tried another device on that cable ?

What sort of tester did you use. The £10 continuity testers will check pin1 goes to pin1 etc but they aren't going to test if the cable is compliant with Cat5e or 6 spec etc as they aren't measuring electric properties of the connection.

Kristian

Move the switch closer to the router and test with known working patch lead, this will eliminate the ‘new’ cable link and prove the switch.

your test with the laptop points to the cable being a problem. How did you terminate it (plugs, modules, 568B?) and test it?

raymondo17

Standard Member
I take it the laptop works OK on other Ethernet connections ? And you have tried another device on that cable ?

What sort of tester did you use. The £10 continuity testers will check pin1 goes to pin1 etc but they aren't going to test if the cable is compliant with Cat5e or 6 spec etc as they aren't measuring electric properties of the connection.
I have tried the laptop connected to a short patch cable into the switch and it works fine.
I did use a cheap tester which just tests pin to pin. I will try another device into the cable and see how that goes.

raymondo17

Standard Member
Move the switch closer to the router and test with known working patch lead, this will eliminate the ‘new’ cable link and prove the switch.

your test with the laptop points to the cable being a problem. How did you terminate it (plugs, modules, 568B?) and test it?
I have two TV's and CCTV Recorder installed into the switch and I can view the cameras over the internet and the TV's will connected via the ethernet cable. I have also connected the laptop straight into the switch as I have said above to oneman, I think the cable is the problem which are connected via Cat plugs bought from Screwfix :), thought proving continuity pin to pin would have been suffice as the total length is approx 35mts from the switch. As I said above in another post I will try another device and see how that goes and report back, cheers Lads

neilball

You have to have the individual wires in the correct order to ensure the signals are carried on the correct pairs inside the cable. Just connecting in a random order will most likely be the issue, even when they are match pin1-pin1, pin2-pin2 etc. What you have now is likely to be a cable with split pairs, and because of the cable length it is losing signal integrity. More expensive cable testers identify this as part of the cable test and would have failed a cable wired with split pairs.

Look up the cable colours/order for RJ45 plugs using the TIA-568B wiring scheme, and re-terminate your cable to match and you will probably find all is good.

oneman

You have to have the individual wires in the correct order to ensure the signals are carried on the correct pairs inside the cable. Just connecting in a random order will most likely be the issue, even when they are match pin1-pin1, pin2-pin2 etc. What you have now is likely to be a cable with split pairs, and because of the cable length it is losing signal integrity. More expensive cable testers identify this as part of the cable test and would have failed a cable wired with split pairs.

Look up the cable colours/order for RJ45 plugs using the TIA-568B wiring scheme, and re-terminate your cable to match and you will probably find all is good.
Possibly.

Looking at the top (clip at the bottom) order should be
White with Orange strip
Orange
White with Green Strip
Blue
White with Blue Strip
Green
White with Brown Strip
Brown

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema