TP-link AV500 2 Port Powerline Adapter

MV Owner

Standard Member
Reaction score
People,

I have a Sky router which currently has a singl hard wired ethernet connection to my Sky UHD 2 TB box.

I am thinking or purchasing a TP-Link AV500 2 port powerline Master to create a network and with a wireless signal at the slave end.

The TP-Link 'Master' has 2 x ethernet ports. I believe one of these should be connected to the Sky router. Will it be ok to then use the second ethernet port to connect the 'Master' to my Sky UHD box?

This will result in the 'Master' being 'inline' between the Router and the Sky UHD box.

Many thanks

MV

so you're saying that you want to disconnect the connection from the Router to your My Sky, plug it into the TP-Link, then connect the second port from the TP-link back to your My Sky?

Yes, that should work. I assume your router only has one ethernet port is the reason?
You could always get a cheap 4-5 port gigabit switch if that's the case as another option.

Thanks A for the super quick response.

The router has multiple ethernet ports.

The issue is that the router is in the hall (by my 'BT Master') and has only a single switched outlet and I do not want to purchase an AV500 master with a ' power passthrough' as I believe these look too chunky and will spoil the simple lines of my hall.

Id rather position the AV500 master behind my TV (close to my SKY box) where its not so easily noticed.

Ah I see. As I said, that should work.

That said, I don't know if you've had experience with powerline. YMMV. Sometimes it works great. Sometimes it works great for a while then stops.

Things that can affect it:
signal interference sources such as refrigerators, microwaves, heaters, A/C units, other things with motors.
Attempting to use it across/thru different house circuit breakers/fuses
Phases of the moon/solar flares (kidding)

Try it out, see how it goes...

thanks for this. It will be used onto different circuits (via an an MCB and an RCB) however it is a reputable brand so I am hoping it will be ok

If you have an old router, you could repurpose this as a switch and wireless access point.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom