Toy Story 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas. Definitely time to revisit this Gem :)

My fav animated movie. Watched this at my uncles house all those years ago and had no idea what it was. Looked like a silly cartoon! I was blown away when the vhs stopped playing!!!!

Awesome review @Casimir Harlow , might have to re buy all the set on 4K.
I nearly spat my brew everywhere when I was reading your review "wonderful reflection to Buzz's helmet" :rotfl::laugh::D

Look forward to your thoughts on the Toy Story 4 4K blu-ray. I watched it this week and have mixed feelings about its images and sound, but everyone seems to be giving both 10/10!

It's really hard to express just how amazing this looked back in 1995. Yes obviously today it won't shock but then it was quite the revelation.
These were the days where Silicon Graphics or Sun computers were the only way running Unix.

Thanks Cas i have not seen this for a while but i am sure the animation look to bad as the modern stuff we see today, Pixar set the benchmark with this. Its one of my all time favorites along with Finding Nemo, Ratatouille and The Incredibles.

This movie was rendered at 1536*922, well below 1080p, so I'm struggling to see the point of a "4K" release, other than HDR.

Highly unlikely. That data is ancient, so unless Pixar have kept it up to date over the past few decades it will be totally incompatible with modern Renderman setups.

Apparently it was re-rendered at 2K for the original 2010 Blu-ray release, so this is probably an upscale based on the same master.

Well if it was re-rendered in 2010 there is no reason why it wouldn't be re-rendered again from those files.

While I can't say it's impossible, just feels like they would have made a selling point of it in the marketing if they had done that.

While I can't say it's impossible, just feels like they would have made a selling point of it in the marketing if they had done that.

From what I understand re-rendering in something like toy story which doesn't have that much detail by today's standards is pretty straight forward time wise. You aren't adding anything new being the crucial bit.

One thing I've never understood, Buzz doesn't believe he's a toy and thinks he's an actual space ranger, so why does he freeze like any other toy when a human is around?

One thing I've never understood, Buzz doesn't believe he's a toy and thinks he's an actual space ranger, so why does he freeze like any other toy when a human is around?
He BELIEVES he is an actual Space Ranger, but as a Toy, he cannot help but freeze - because, Toy / Plot Science :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom