Toy Story 4 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Stepalex

Standard Member
Sorry but no - this was miles weaker than the original trilogy and looked liked a spin-off focused on Woody rather than a proper TS. Pixar escaped both the sequel curse AND the trequel curse with the series, with TS3 being the strongest of all 3, but sadly this outing is a serious misfire.

stevebk

Is there a box set with all four ?
I have been looking but nothing yet on 4K, but I bet it's going to be £80 upwards. I have seen the 4 film box set Zoom in Blu-ray at £34.99, very tempted with that.

stevebk

Just seen HMV selling it at £29.99

UMAR 3:16

UMAR 3:16

Excellent review. Agree with the scoring

Evinger

Thanks for the Review, and looking forward to seeing this :)

Slinkywizard

thanks for the review Simon. I must say, the image didn't blow me away on this one, comparing it to the likes of Moana, Cars 3 and Coco, it just felt a little bit lacking.

Great film though. 👍
I felt the same. Kept reaching for the controller to tweak things, but so many scenes in this are simply a bit pastilley and washed out at source. Yes, many images are deep and satisfying, but more than half of the running time I just felt it was visually a little bit flat. Agree with Simon's appraisal of the audio mix, though – simply nothing special about it.

On the plus side, I loved the film and laughed a lot.

stigdu

Watched this with the family at the weekend, and we all enjoyed it. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a tear or two welling up during the last 10 minutes.

Definitely not as good as TS2 or TS3, though.

encaser

Distinguished Member
Yay, DJ Spoony in DDD.
Amazing they manage to keep so much fun for all ages. True works of art.

marc5701

The disappointing thing for me is the aspect ratio( black bars). The other Toy Story Blu Ray's filled the screen making it really immersive, especially on a 65 inch. I don't know why the director's do it when they know it's gonna be watched by millions at home.

Slinkywizard

The disappointing thing for me is the aspect ratio( black bars). The other Toy Story Blu Ray's filled the screen making it really immersive, especially on a 65 inch. I don't know why the director's do it when they know it's gonna be watched by millions at home.
I would rather watch in the aspect ratio that was seen in cinemas (though my set-up makes me somewhat biased in this regard), black bars or not. Some blu-ray players have a zoom function if you want to be rid of them. If yours doesn't, consider an upgrade and it's problem solved.

Last edited:

Garrett

Art for art's sake, director who think 16:9 is for un intelectual riff raff, this a high art film so has to be letterbox shaped.
Or there doing it on the cheap so they don't have to fill in the blank spaces top and bottom :rotfl:

BTW IMDB has 2 and 3 Toy Story films aspect ratio at 1.33 : 1 when the only bit in the films is when it's being filmed with a video recorder.

Livemo

My favourite toy story movie. Its great transfer, poor atmos. But overall the uhd presentation was excellent

Kotatsu Neko

I really enjoyed this one. After Toy Sorry 3 I really didn't think there was any need for another one, but to my surprise they really pulled it off. And the ending, good job Pixar, that was brave.

The 4K disc looked nice enough, although the simplistic characters don't really push the format much. Still, the HDR looked good especially at night, and blacks were nice and deep. (by contrast I watched Halloween 2018 last night in 4K and it was washed out garbage).

As good as this was I really think they should end it now. Go out on a high.

Kotatsu Neko

That's a weird thing to say. Almost all films are 2.35:1, that's the shape cinema screens are. That the previous Toy Story movies are 1.85:1 is weird, so they've corrected it with this one.

Personally I find 1:85:1 just doesn't look as cinematic. It's too zoomed in, too cropped. It lacks the scale and majesty of CinemaScope.

What would you have them do? Hack the sides off?

Garrett

That's a weird thing to say. Almost all films are 2.35:1, that's the shape cinema screens are. That the previous Toy Story movies are 1.85:1 is weird, so they've corrected it with this one.

Personally I find 1:85:1 just doesn't look as cinematic. It's too zoomed in, too cropped. It lacks the scale and majesty of CinemaScope.

That's not what he said. A question to you of the same merit is would you have them hack the top and bottom off of 1-3 to make them look cinematic.

Kotatsu Neko

That's not what he said. A question to you of the same merit is would you have them hack the top and bottom off of 1-3 to make them look cinematic.
My stance is simply that the director is god. If he/she wants to make something in 2.35:1, then that is the only way the movie should ever be seen. Everything is framed for the chosen aspect ratio and is therefore unalterable.

Similar thinking with books to movie adaptations. The author must have total control and nothing can be cut or altered without their permission.

The original creator must always have the final say.

Garrett

My stance is simply that the director is god. If he/she wants to make something in 2.35:1, then that is the only way the movie should ever be seen. Everything is framed for the chosen aspect ratio and is therefore unalterable.
Agreed, but marc point was he wished it had been made in 16:9, not cropped to that for home viewing.

Tim2049

1:85:1 films look better. Significantly better.

I'm tired of feeling like a philistine for saying so too. Point is, with a 65" screen & the kind of image quality top end TVs are producing these says, a full screen is a lot more satisfying to the eye. Snobbishness be damned...

doug56hl

Distinguished Member

I'm tired of feeling like a philistine for saying so too. Point is, with a 65" screen & the kind of image quality top end TVs are producing these says, a full screen is a lot more satisfying to the eye. Snobbishness be damned...
And if watching on an Oled doesn't run the risk of getting the 2.35:1 black bars 'burnt' into the screen.
The content which some TV manufacturers (Sony and Panasonic for example) say should always be watched zoomed to fill the screen to avoid image retention.

Garrett

I sure there some directors consciously or subconsciously think if they make 1:85:1 its an inferior product, but think of all those Imax scenes not only a boost in quality but far more immersive.
BTW although films should not be tampered with e.g. Equilibrium edge cropping from DVD to Blu Ray I would not say directors are gods as some can produce appalling films of great source material.

berkeley384

I have a real issue with this film:

In Toy Story 1 Woody tells all the toys who are worried they will be replaced that it doesn’t matter if they don’t get played with, all that matters is that they are there for Andy!

Easy for him to say “he’s told by Mr Potato Head” as he’s the favourite!!

Cut forward to TS3, the Toys are all fed up and want to go Sunnyside and Woody tells them that they are all being selfish, how dare they want something better for themselves, they should be there for Andy ...

Cut forwards to TS4, After All those years Woody was the favourite, all the others were pushed aside year after year in favour of Andy’s favourite Woody, everyone played second fiddle to Woody who was the only toy who was wanted, the only Toy who would go to College with him, all the others were to be packed into a black bin bag and put in the attic, but now Woody isn’t the favourite, in fact he’s not been picked 3 times in one week, It’s not even been ONE YEAR! and he can’t take it and runs away!

Essentially TS4 portrays the lovable Woody as a hypocrite who was happy when he was the favourite and bailed when he wasn’t!!

.... don’t even get me started on how Buzz light year has regressed to character who has to listen to his inner sound box ...

stevebk

Does anyone know if a 4K box set is on the horizon, I can only find Blu-ray box set

Kotatsu Neko

And if watching on an Oled doesn't run the risk of getting the 2.35:1 black bars 'burnt' into the screen.
The content which some TV manufacturers (Sony and Panasonic for example) say should always be watched zoomed to fill the screen to avoid image retention.
You can't burn off pixels into an OLED.

Kotatsu Neko

To each his own I guess. 2.35:1 exists for a reason though.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
You can't burn off pixels into an OLED.
Why is why I put 'burnt' in quotes.
What happens is differential wear on the black bar areas. They are off and so the pixels have less wear than the on pixels in the middle of the screen. Over time this leads to lack of panel uniformity and obvious lighter areas at top and bottom of the panel plus a darkish junction line where the two meet. Seen on blue skys or other uniform content like 5% or lower grey fields. My LG E6 suffered from this due to an almost exclusive watching of HDR movies (majority at 2.35:1).