1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy Story 2 Slow menu selection

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Paul Young, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Paul Young

Paul Young

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the Toy Story 2 region 2 and when trying to access the menus it is very slow it takes about 10secs to show up.
    I have a toshiba 100e. Does anyone else have this problem with this disc or maybe a problem with just my disc or dvd player software. All my other disc work ok ??

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep! This is a problem with a lot of Disney discs.

Dinasuar, Bugs Life, Tarzan (not as much as others) and TS2 are all slow when navigating their menus.

It is not your player, its the discs!!

3. Paul Young

Paul Young

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Meat for your info !

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually it is the player, it's caused by the player not having enough buffer memory for the discs contents table. Some old players and players with old firmware and budget players have the problem with these discs due to misallocation of the buffer memory (either caused by incorrect memory size set or due to cutbacks). Mosts players can be corrected with a firmware update.

5. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    i use to have the same problem with my old tosh 3109,dinasuar (r1) it took about 1min 30 secs, now with my new denon 2800 it takes 12 secs so it is player not the disc.

the denon has a 4mb buffer.

dvd

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Yep! its the player.

My Tosh 210 takes a while to load the menus whereas my Panasonic 360 whizzes thru them.

cheers

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stand corrected!

8. kenjolly

kenjolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm with Meat on this one - it's the discs.

Disney discs do not conform to the DVD forum standards - that's why they do not display the DVD logo - they have their own 'disney' DVD logo.

If they conformed to the standards they their discs would play on 99.9% (no guarantees in life are there !) players. I returned two Warfdales (750 and 750S) because TS wouldn't play on them. My mates Samsung also struggles but does play them. My repalcement player (Sony 335) works well with them.

I think Disney's motto is : If you want to play our discs buy an expensive player that has a large enough buffer to cope with our poor coding. Obviously with the type of film that disney put out ie kiddies stuff (mainly), we are all gonna let our 5 year olds play with our £1000 players (not that I have a £1000 player or even a 5 year old !). NOT

9. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    'Interestingly' 'Snow White...' does feature the standard DVD logo, it'll be interesting to see if this is the case with Atlantis, Hunchback, Pooh and other future Disney releases.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any disc with "DVD" on it has to comply with the DVD Spec, even if a company modifiys the DVD logo like Disney the disc still have to comply with the spec.

The problem Disney discs are within spec but many early player are not due to mistakes, cutbacks and/or the belief that certain features wouldn't be used to the full as in the case of the Disney disc. The fact that almost all the players can be fixed with a firware upgrade is proof of this.

The Wharfdale players are well known for having problems with discs, the 750 used a budget LSI chipset, early revisions had major compatability issues, it's unlikely that you can get the latest revision as Sony now own the worldwide rights to the chipset which they have used for the PS2.