Tower speakers up to £600

Autophase

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm planning on buying some new tower speakers for my living room next month, through research I got it down to Tannoy DC6T and Q Acoustics 3050. Unfortunately the DC6T are proving hard to obtain new as they are discontinued.
I'll probably go to my local richer sounds as i know they price match and I can audition any thing i want there.
So with the intent of getting the Q Acoustic 3050, are there any others that I should ask them to demo along side within the £400 - £600 price band?

Many thanks

If they have to them in stock listen to the ELAC DEBUT F 5 's , not as pretty as the Q 's but stunning sound and the WHARFEDALE
DIAMOND 11.5 is worth an audition both @ £599 in RS atm , for a ' brighter ' sound some of the DALI models might appeal .

Last edited:
If they have to them in stock listen to the ELAC DEBUT F 5 's , not as pretty as the Q 's but stunning sound and the WHARFEDALE
DIAMOND 11.5 is worth an audition both @ £599 in RS atm , for a ' brighter ' sound some of the DALI models might appeal .

Brilliant thank you, they were ones I hadn't considered yet.
Richer sounds already had the DALI's on display and the assistant said they would include those in the demo.
Thats brilliant, that gives me 3 or 4 to audition.

Hi Guys,
I'm planning on buying some new tower speakers for my living room next month, through research I got it down to Tannoy DC6T and Q Acoustics 3050. Unfortunately the DC6T are proving hard to obtain new as they are discontinued.
I'll probably go to my local richer sounds as i know they price match and I can audition any thing i want there.
So with the intent of getting the Q Acoustic 3050, are there any others that I should ask them to demo along side within the £400 - £600 price band?

Many thanks
Have you considered used? I have a pair of mint DC6T SE's that I have been too lazy to put up for sale!

For that money I’d get a pair of monitor audio gr60. Some went on here the other day for that.

I really appreciate all of the advice guys, Thank you very much.
This will sound totally counter to the reason for my original post, but I found a pair of DC6T's on EvilBay only 10 miles from me, so i couldn't pass them up I snagged them for £300.
I figure if they really don't blow me away i can probably take them to RS and audition them against other speakers recommended here, buy the ones i like the best and sell these for the same money.

Sounds like a good plan to me. What are you driving them with (amp and source). I would be tempted to set them up at home and use them for a bit. If you are happy, save your money and be happy or diver the extra to other parts of the system.

Reading reviews of the DC6T looks like they are pretty neutral, bit like a big studio monitor, and therefore "pass on" the character of the electronics driving them rather than stamping their own character on the sound.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan to me. What are you driving them with (amp and source). I would be tempted to set them up at home and use them for a bit. If you are happy, save your money and be happy or diver the extra to other parts of the system.

Reading reviews of the DC6T looks like they are pretty neutral, bit like a big studio monitor, and therefore "pass on" the character of the electronics driving them rather than stamping their own character on the sound.

Neutral suits me fine, I write my own music too and am familiar with the practice of using flat response studio monitors (I currently have the Adam A7x)
I listen to a lot of music on headphones at work, i use Shure SE425 through an ODAC Rev b. which is very neutral / natural sounding combo.

I'm using a Yamaha AX 392 amp, I picked it up second hand last year and it sounded fantastic with my existing Tannoy Mercury book shelf speakers, so it's an amp I'm more than happy with.
My source will mostly be tidal masters going through the ODAC, and some vinyl, again the Yamaha amp comes up trumps here with a great sounding phono stage.

I fully intend to give the new Tannoy's a few months before even considering anything else, and like you say, if i love them I wont change them.

The AX392 probably worked well with your Tannoy standmounts because it was in full control of what they were doing. Make sure that whichever speaker you look to get, the amplifier is capable of the same, otherwise you may not be so impressed.

The AX392 probably worked well with your Tannoy standmounts because it was in full control of what they were doing. Make sure that whichever speaker you look to get, the amplifier is capable of the same, otherwise you may not be so impressed.

Thanks for the input.
The speakers sound fantastic with the amp, it has no power struggle at all, its a well spec'd amp any way, it can be switched to drive 4 or 8 ohm speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom