Tower speakers: me vs. wife - help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ron_Trent, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Ron_Trent

Ron_Trent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am looking for some floor standers for my hifi setup (not TV). I have found a few I like, however the wife has not approved any because they are "too big"!

Does anyone have any ideas for thin/pretty floorstanders, that dont require a seperate sub, and produce decent sound? If possible I am looking to spend less than £500.

I know this sounds like an impossible task, but any suggestions welcome.

Thanks, Ron.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,196
    You need to give us some more details, what speaker has your wife looked and determined they were too 'big'? Are we talking 600mm tall, 800mm tall, 1000mm tall; we need some perspective.

For example, there are some Mordaunt Shorts that have side firing sub-woofers built in, and I think are modest in size and quite attractive.

M-S Avant 908i -
    http://www.mordauntshort.com/summary.php?PID=53&Title=Avant 908i floorstander

Q Acoustic makes some attractive compact floor standers.
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3867

I'm not sure what your wifes objection is, nice wood grained cabinets can dress up a room very nicely. And they are tucked away along the walls, it's not like they are in the middle of the living room floor.

Give us some examples of the specific speakers she objected to, and maybe we can make some recommendations of more compact speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

3. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,538
    I have ESL-63s and my wife accepted them. I think you need to involve you wife in the purchase - including the auditioning. She probably has better hearing than you do :( - objectively, women of the same age do and their advantage increases with age too. She will then be in a better position to judge size vs quality.

Another consideration is that you may have less objections with a speaker that looks nice (e.g. a real wood veneer and decent cabinet work), than with say black paint on rough wood.

Also a sub can be "hidden away", although here too something that looks nice will provoke less objections.

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,196
    I stumbled across another system that is within your budget

JBL CINEMA-PACK.SIL full 5.1 @ £435.00
    http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=13259

The floor standing speakers are 36" or 937mm tall.

I've mostly found JBL in flat or satin black finish, but if you inquire, they may be available in wood finish.

Again, the more you can tell us, the more we can help you.

Steve/bluewizard

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  6. Ron_Trent

Ron_Trent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the ideas!

Basically, she doesn't like any of the wood veener speakers - however will got for tall speakers if they are "sleek".

The M-S Avant 908i are a bit too wide, same for the Q ACOUSTICS 1050is.

I had a look at the Canton CD300 - that's the sort of thing she likes. Any other ideas like the CD300?

Many thanks
    Ron