Tower of Terror Theater

TowerofTerrorTheater

Standard Member
Reaction score
So just to be clear, my theater is NOT themed after the Disney Tower of Terror, but the room outside the theater IS themed after the Disney Tower of Terror Basement Elevator entrance. It has been over a yr since work began on the project and still there is continuing effects and goals in mind. The theming includes an automated sequence of a variety of audio/visual and special effects, including multiple custom props, a simulated lighting/thunder and rain system, and a custom produced Rod Serling Deepfake all triggered by the press of an elevator button . Here is a video showing the result to date.

Last edited:
Mate, that is a whole other level of cool. Strong work!

We took the kids to Disneyland Paris. They were 8 and 9 and quite small, so we couldn't get on some rides.

At the end of the first day we went to a Haunted House or something. To make it appear that the room was falling into the ground, the wallpaper rolled up the walls. The next morning, we ended up walking in to something caller The Tower of Terror. It was really nicely done inside, much like your lovely home theatre. We assumed the ride wasn't up to much, as unlike some of the more exhilarating rides, they'd let us in the with little ones. Once in the lift, and seeing the Twilight Zone video, they showed a similar affect to the wallpaper we'd seen in the haunted house. This time, lights went whizzing by to make it look like the lift was going really high. Oo I'm scared.

Then the lift stopped, and the doors opened. **** me! we were staring out over the top of Disneyland! Oh **** what have we done! And since dropping you 124 feet clearly wasn't enough, they had motors sending you down faster than gravity.

Your cinema looks great, but I won't be visiting.

Incredible work. Be an amusing sale when you move house.

Yes I am sure when someday I eventually sell the house, realtors and potential buyers will call it the Tower of Terror House. Maybe not the best marketing move LOL. For people who see the project who have no idea what the Tower of Terror is, are of course confused why anyone would make their house look like a dungeon. I like to tell them that the chains and torture chamber are on the other side of the elevator doors.

Last edited:
We took the kids to Disneyland Paris. They were 8 and 9 and quite small, so we couldn't get on some rides.

At the end of the first day we went to a Haunted House or something. To make it appear that the room was falling into the ground, the wallpaper rolled up the walls. The next morning, we ended up walking in to something caller The Tower of Terror. It was really nicely done inside, much like your lovely home theatre. We assumed the ride wasn't up to much, as unlike some of the more exhilarating rides, they'd let us in the with little ones. Once in the lift, and seeing the Twilight Zone video, they showed a similar affect to the wallpaper we'd seen in the haunted house. This time, lights went whizzing by to make it look like the lift was going really high. Oo I'm scared.

Then the lift stopped, and the doors opened. **** me! we were staring out over the top of Disneyland! Oh **** what have we done! And since dropping you 124 feet clearly wasn't enough, they had motors sending you down faster than gravity.

Were your kids horrified or did they love it? I would guess it would be one of the two extremes.

Were your kids horrified or did they love it? I would guess it would be one of the two extremes.
I was too terrified to care what they thought :laugh:

Non of us enjoyed it, but it was the thing we talked about most after the trip.

I did look up details about the ride afterwards, and I seem to remember it cost over 100 million. Hopefully yours has come in less, but I'm sure it's cost a fair bit, in time and money. Why did you choose that as your theme?

This is awesome, me and my wife are big Disney fans and go to Disney world for our hols. Will show her this later.

Here is what is inside the elevator doors. No Tower of Terror Theming other than the Twilight Zone Pinball machine (which is also my favorite pin).

Looks fantastic mate.

Here is what is inside the elevator doors. No Tower of Terror Theming other than the Twilight Zone Pinball machine (which is also my favorite pin).

These are the type of builds and rooms we drool over on Pinterest when we're browsing looking for inspiration, quite an incredible attention to detail you should be really proud of what you've achieved please keep the pictures coming

Here is the latest prop added to the set. A recreation of the Elevator control panel which are located next to the elevator door ride entrance at the real Tower of Terror, and a vintage radio which will play lobby music, and have a ghostly self-tuning knob and dial when completed. Also the project was shown on Good Morning America on its Haunted Homes feature on Halloween day (It is the last home shown). Last photo shows the real Elevator control panel which was used as a model for our recreation (virtually nothing done by me; all done by my tech wizard master and partner in the project).

1605155290673.png

Last edited:
Developing functionality of the Control Panel:

New button lighting, motion-activated ringing phone which will play multiple audio clips synchronized to the special effects/video effects inside the elevator doors, soon to be connected control of fire alarms in the room. The audio clip you hear is going to be one of actual files played through the handset.

Here is the latest show video with multiple new special effects including elevator control panel with phone and calls from hotel operator, lightning bolt effect see on elevator door, and smoke/debris effect seen under elevator door as elevator crashes at basement level.

I'd be a bit disappointed after all that awesome theater that the main screen was this though.....

screen.jpg

Come on, at least a 32" Widescreen. ;)

Haha. Actually making this prop was fairly challenging but fun. Trying to duplicate the apparent 50’s era TV (makes no sense why Disney chose to put a 1950’s TV a hotel from 1939, but what the hell) using 50’s TV chasis and finding a 4:3 lcd that perfectly fit.

Then the lift stopped, and the doors opened. ** me! we were staring out over the top of Disneyland! Oh ** what have we done! And since dropping you 124 feet clearly wasn't enough, they had motors sending you down faster than gravity.

:laugh::laugh: I had exactly the same experience when I first went on it, had no idea what to expect and when that door opens and you are so high up I s**t myself, bloody brilliant.

Haha; But there is currently no drop on my project and the most ambitious plans I have entail the construction of an autonomous elevator car with a pneumatic lift with a 6" drop. Surely you can handle that.:D

Thanks for the news Andy,

For me I'm really disappointed I wont get to hear them in the Demo room at the Bristol show, where no doubt KEF would want to show them off.For now I am really looking forward to the review on this to see if the technology delivers. I can see me wanting one of these to crown my hifi system. There is a track on the Bladerunner 2049 soundtrack (amongst many including the Prodigy) that I would die for, to have additional bass output that my R500's couldn't get down to.

Anyway this particular product reminded of some of the things I am missing.

Gordon

:laugh::laugh: I had exactly the same experience when I first went on it, had no idea what to expect and when that door opens and you are so high up I s**t myself, bloody brilliant.
Love Tower of Terror,
Love your room
My Mrs usually scares all with her screaming more than the ride.
Took my eldest on this when she was 5 the start of her love of awesome theme park rides

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom