Tourist for a day.

lloydy53

I live about 5 minutes walk from the world famous Ironbridge, probably one of the most famous and photographed bridges in the world.
It was a nice day so I went for a walk, and resisted taking yet another picture of the bridge!

So here's three pictures, all have been tweaked on Lightzone which I'm beginning to think will become my weapon of choice.

I'd love to hear your comments.

stairwaytoheaven.jpg

stairway to heaven.

Riverblue.jpg

The river Severn.

bearheads.jpg

Teddy bear heads on spikes! We're barbarians down here. :eek:

mwncidur

I like #1, something about the uneven steps makes me look all the way up. In fact I think a square crop, without the church, would make a decent shot on its own.

#2 the river shot seems a little flat

#3 poor teddies

:thumbsup:

dfrear

Nice photos, like #1 and #2.

Has the river been post processed? The photo seems to have way too much of a blue tinge. Like the first one but feels a little flat toward the bottom, maybe a tiny little bit over exposed - but im not sure.

lloydy53

Looking at the river shot again it is very blue ! :oops:

I'm trying to settle on a processing program so I'm playing around a lot with the different ones. Those were 'processed' :rolleyes: with Lightzone.

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
I took a very similar picture to your first one a while ago, but went for a slightly different angle :)

The saturation on the 2nd shot is very high and probably detracts from a nice scene, i'd bring it down a touch and maybe dodge the lowlights in a bit to bring a bit of detail back.

lloydy53

Here's the original shot of the river, a bit dark.

Imgp1069.jpg

I don't like the one I posted first, it must have been the red wine clouding my thought processing, or my vision! :rolleyes:
I'm going to have another go though.

lloydy53

And after a bit more fiddling about on Lightzone I submit this ........

Rawriver.jpg

that's a bit better - isn't it? :lease:

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
It is more natural in the colours but the highlights have blown out now. Difficult to process correctly with such a wide range of 'exposures' without going mental on layers and the like. It's also a difficult exposure to get right to be fair, this is where multiple exposures and a bit of creativity in Photoshop come in handy ;)

lloydy53

Yes, the original has a decent sky but the rest is underexposed. And the basic tools of Lightzone don't ( in my very limited experience ) seem to have dodge and burn, so I guess it's back to Elements for this one!

belfastblitz

I did this touch up in Aperture - though you'll need a Mac to run it (IMHO the best way to go if you are serious about PP)

What do you think?

Attachments

• RIver.jpg
    RIver.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 45

lloydy53

Yup, that's getting closer to my 'vision' ( sounds good eh ? ) - the sky has it's colour and the trees have some good detail.

I'm off to try again! ;)

belfastblitz

Lloydy53 - I have attached your first pic with a few tweaks for you to look at. I'm new to photography but been using PShop for years

The best thing you can do is look at mine and yours on screen side by side - your original just seemed FLAT - like looking at it through a misty or dirty window. Adjusting the EXPOSURE control (if you have it) or with brightness/contrast will help pull the light and dark areas apart. Then you can look at colour balance - this is really tricky--- always try and have your old and new pic on screen side by side so you can see where you are going.

Also to make sure your colours are neutral it helps to look for pointers like concrete, tarmac etc - these should be GREY OR BLACK and if your colour balance is off it will show here first.

All in all you can have the best correction software in the world - but you need to know what you are looking for!!!

Attachments

• CHurch.jpg
    CHurch.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 42

lloydy53

Yes, a touch more exposure, and a bit of sharpness?, improve it a lot.

It's good to mess about with this stuff, I'll find one I like ..............eventually!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom