Tour Of Duty - comes to DVD!!!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

If anyone's interested, the amazing, but rarely seen (in the UK, at least) uncut versions of the late-80's Vietnam war drama series "TOUR OF DUTY" will be arriving in DVD stores, in the USA, on Region 1 DVD in June 2004! :clap:

The release is the entire Season 1 boxed set (Seasons 2 and 3 will follow a few months apart, later on), and is being released by Columbia Tristar.

No extras have been confirmed yet, but it is hoped there will be audio commentaries from the cast and crew; a music video of The Rolling Stones' "Paint It Black"; and maybe a behind-the-scenes documentary about the creatinon of the show, its place in American TV history, and how US TV audiences reacted to it. (There are no other weekly TV shows that dealt/deal directly with the Vietnam war.)

It is not confirmed whether all the music that the show was famous for using, will be legally cleared to be used within the DVD release, but if it isn't, it will be very dissapointing for fans of the show, as the music was pivotal in setting the tone of the episodes and characters.

Okay. That's all. Details taken from: www.tvshowsondvd.com

Should be an excellent release, and will make an interesting companion to films like "Full Metal Jacket", "Apocalypse Now" and "The Deer-Hunter".

Pooch

As long as it has the rights to use Paint it Black as the theme tune I will be buying it, if not, I'm not sure.

I do not know why they are bothering with the copy right issue(that’s if it is the problem) I would have thought it would have been an incentive for people to go and buy the Stones album with it on.

Excellent series Pooch :smashin:

I like this!

I have the first series on Beta HiFi (stereo) recorded off ITV!

loved this too,think i saw evert episode,used to watch it b ut it was on quite late if i remember,excellent news for dvd release.

thanks for the heads up!, i loved this show. i only hope its as good as i remember

I used to tape on the 950 and edit out the adverts onto the M40, got 2 & 2/3 eposodes on an L500 - 8 episodes on 3 tapes

yeah, great series. Though I seem to remember that the 2nd series wasnt as good as the first. It used to be on ITV didnt it? Around midnight after the late news. Ill be buying it for certain

:clap:

Originally posted by MartinImber
I used to tape on the 950 and edit out the adverts onto the M40, got 2 & 2/3 eposodes on an L500 - 8 episodes on 3 tapes

I use to do it on L750s and got 4, 47.5 minute programs on with 5 minutes to spare.

HI,

Yes, this was a great show, although I've only seen the first episode of Season 1.

It ran in the late 80's on ITV, usually in the middle of the night, around 2am. It's most recent showing was on Bravo, about six to seven years ago, but despite a lot of good feedback, it simply didn't get enough viewers, and was only run once through the entire series. A shame, but hopefully the DVD release will be worthwhile, especially as it's Columbia Tristar releasing it!

Pooch

What is it about Tour of Duty and recording on Beta

Just got Season One today and had a very quick look. The Pilot and all 20 episodes are there but the only extra's are some trailers on Disc 5. It would also seem that Paint It Black has not been licensed and has been replaced with some generic opening score which has none of the awesome impact that the original opening had:(

So far I have only looked at it on an old 28" TV but the picture quality looks good...

hi mate
did you check the 1st episode as a pose to the pilot episode. the pilot episode didnt have paint it black as the theme. If i remember rightly??

cheers

It would also seem that Paint It Black has not been licensed and has been replaced with some generic opening score which has none of the awesome impact that the original opening had

Time to capture my 2nd gen Beta copies to DVD

shaunthedude - yeah, I wasn't sure about the pilot music so I checked episode one and two and they both have the new score :(

well thats pants. like someone said earlier. People who like this show and the music would be rushing out to by Stones albums. Not now though it seems :thumbsdow

Sky channel FX289 is apparently showing the entire run of this show - starting at the end of this month....screen ident and ad breaks might spoil it though!!! Click link for info:

http://hum90.com/uk_fans.htm

Balls!

I can't believe that the amazing "Paint It Black" theme has been replaced, due to copyright issues! :mad:

Well, I won't be buying the DVD series then, as that was one of the best things about the show. It just really set the shows tone. What is it about American's and the copyright on music used in TV shows?!

I hope FX will repeat all 3 seasons again, after the first entire run-through, as I won't have Sky until late-August. :mad: Failing that, if anyone tapes the entire three seasons (with or without ads) onto DVD, would they consider (at a later date) duplicating me a set (say 3 episodes per disc, at a high bit-rate), for a reasonable fee, including cost of media and P&P?

Pooch

I just ordered it from disc Emporium and it should be here tomorrow. Cant wait to watch this again. Still pants about the theme though. Ill just put my stones album on when the credits are rolling :D

It is a shame about the theme, but I don't think it ruins the show once you are past the opening sequence, the stories are good and it has such excellent characters.

The sad thing is, by replacing the theme it may damage sales so bad that they won't release the later seasons on dvd.

Did Something similar not happened with Full Metal Jacket.
But it was the Soundtrack Album that was affected i think?

Will there be a Paint it Black R2??

just watched the first 3 episodes. The theme tune on the dvd is the original theme tune for tour of duty. However not only has paint it black been left out but so has all the 60s music that kept cropping up throughout the series. its been replaced by cheesy organ music

:mad:

shaunthedude said:
just watched the first 3 episodes. The theme tune on the dvd is the original theme tune for tour of duty. However not only has paint it black been left out but so has all the 60s music that kept cropping up throughout the series. its been replaced by cheesy organ music

:mad:

This is terrible - the music is an essential part of the series

FX289 is showing the ep's with Paint it Black and the 60's music.....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom