1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tour Facts??

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by southpaw, Jul 23, 2005.

1. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I'm trying to do some research on bands first tours.

e.g The Rolling Stones 1st ever tour, Beatles 1st ever tour etc etc. I'm looking to see how much gigs were done in the 1st tour (whether they were signed or not)

Also it doesn't have to be "Real" music I'd also be interested in the Spice Girls, S Club 7 etc etc and see how many gigs they did in the 1st year.

I think it'd be interesting to see who spent more time on the road in the 1st year. I'm guessing that it might be the S-Club 7s as they have a shorter time life and may have better marketing, promoters etc but then surely the "Real" bands need to earn a living too!

2. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry, forget to ask if anyone knew any web sites where I could get these facts rather than checking each band site?

3. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,474
    http://classicrock.about.com/gi/dyn...s.com/SunsetStrip/Plaza/7300/beatles-live.htm

The above link gives shedloads of materials about the early Beatles, but is missing a couple of years in the early sixties.
    Couldn't find diddly squat on the Stones.

However, you can't really compare the first, say, Spice Girls tour with the first Beatle tour. In the sixties, nearly all bands were gigging all the time - both the Stones and Beatles were evolving from the late fifties. Very hard to define what a tour is in these circumstances - is it the first series of gigs after the first single, first album? They would have both played countless number of 'concerts' before either of these events.

The Space Girls and S Club 69 will be easier to pin down, as they erupted onto the scene, not evolved over a period of time.
    Make an album, make a million, and err, what do we do now? I know, play in front of some people. So there will be a defined date for both.
    But you'll have to do your own research on them, as my PC refuses to visit their websites!
    Phil

4. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,474
    I just saw this in your thread.

If you stop and think about it, you seem to be confusing what constitutes a band.
    After all, in the 1st year of the Beatles (though hopefully you will now see that it's not as straightforward as that), they would not have seen themselves in it for the long term at all. They didn't know they were THE BEATLES.
    Gigging was THE ONLY way they could make money. It wasn't something that they did to support album sales, TV kid show appearances etc. It was ALL they did to make money. Full stop. There were no royalties from radio play, supermarket openings...

Check out the Beatle gig list from 1960 (as the Silver Beetles I think).
    Probably played more hours of music on stage that year than S Club and the Spice Girls put together have ever played in their whole careers.
    If you think that what S Club and Spice Girls do constitutes touring (ie half a dozen shows each tour - MEN, Cardiff Arena, Wembley Arena, Glasgow SECC etc and back again six months later), then I suggest you check out BB King's career.
    Around 250 shows a year around the world for 40 years.
    That's touring.

5. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that Philly

Don't worry I don't think that S-Clubs etc are Bands! Its difficult trying to explain what I'm looking for.

I do understand that the two are trying to achieve different things but ultimately both want to get paid for it or earn a living from it.

What I'm trying to look at is "getting the brand across".

In regards to The Beatles or The Stones or whoever I beleive that to them "The Song" is what is important however they would want people to look out for the brand ie The Stones next gig, single, tour whatever however the S-Clubs would concentrate more on "The Brand" but without a catchy song or trendy image etc the brand would fail.

Is that clearer? I'm trying to look at all sorts of genres and times and am interested in both tours. ie whether they were signed or not. eg how many gigs (estimate) did the stones play before they got signed and then the 1st tour while signed.

I also think that in regards to workload (tours, tv/radio/mags interviews, photoshoots etc etc) I think that todays guitar bands/boybands/ dance groups whatever probably do as much as each other and possibly the S clubs may work harder at promoting than the others as they don't need to concentrate on writting songs/music etc.

Would you agree?

6. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Good call Philly on the Fabs. There are loads of sites and books that do the job.

For the Stones Bill Wyman's books are a great place to start