Tour de France - which channel ?

Well actually I am being dragged kicking and screaming to my little sister's wedding - against my will! Grrrr!

Me want to watch Tour de France!

A couple of years ago it piddled down with rain here in Scotland for a few weeks in summer - so I watched the whole thing! It was very good viewing when you got into it long-term, not just nightly highlights but whole days racing.

Yes, it is something like 5 day cricket, not easy to understand if you just see short snatches.
Which is one reason it always amazes me that a sporting event that could (before TV) only be glimpsed for a few seconds by any one person became the number one French sporting event.
Congratulations to your little sister, and dont spoil the wedding by saying you want to be home watching television.

Regards Richard

Tour de France will shown on ITV2.
It was mentioned during Friday's F1 qualifying.

I'll have to watch the end of the F1 race or qualifying coverage, but I think that ITV2 may be showing Le Tour live - with daily highlights on ITV1.

I'm probably wrong, but that's what I'm hoping anyway! :D

[edit] I've finally found some times on the Radio Times site. For non-digital terrestrial, coverage appears to start from Sunday afternoon (3:05-4:40pm), with daily highlights during the small hours (roughly after midnight and before 2am).

Time to get my 'traditional' heap of Tour de France video tape... :smashin:

Check #2 finds that ITV2 are showing two hours of 'prologue' coverage, with hour-long highlights at 7pm daily. You lucky people! :laugh:

Good news about ITV2 having coverage of it but bad news if Eurosport aren't doing the full day for the major mountain stages. I'm about to become jobless so I thought that I could finally sit and watch the full day coverage without having to take a day off ;)

Eurosports coverage of the tour is listed in full in this years official guide.

For those too tight to part with £4.50, here it is;) :D

Live coverage:-

5th July - 4.30 - 6.30
6th July - 1.00 - 4.45
7th July - 1.30 - 5.00
8th July - 1.30 - 5.00
9th July - 1.30 - 5.00
10th July - 1.30 - 5.00
11th July - 1.30 - 5.00
12th July - 10.00 - 5.00
13th july - 3.00 - 4.30 - L'Alpe d'Huez!!...and all we get is this:mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :thumbsdow
14th July - 11.30 - 5.00
15th July - 1.30 - 5.00
17th July - 1.30 - 5.00
18th July - 1.15 - 5.00
19th July - 11.00 - 5.00
20th July - 10.30 - 5.00
21st July - 11.30 - 4.45
23rd July - 11.15 - 4.45
24th July - 1.30 - 4.45
25th July - 1.30 - 4.45
26th July - 1.15 - 2.45 & 3.15 - 4.30
27th July - 2.15 - 3.00 & 3.15 - 4.45

Plus numerous daily highlight packages.

1.5hrs for the biggest day in Le Tour is farcical, tey're obviously hoping USPS dont allow any breakaways and Armstrong will destroy allcomers on L'Alp!!

At least it's a weekend!

Steve

Just too make you even madder, heres some quotes from the official guide(eurosport):-

Gilberto Simoni ( Giro winner 2001 ) - " the stage to Alpe d'Huez should be among the most epic ever"

" Alpe d'Huez is to cycling what Madison square garden is to boxing and Monte Carlo is to Formula One. The Alpe and Tour are linked by a bond of mutual dependency. Without the other, neither could survive."

"This year, if Armstrong does claim his fifth consecutive tour title, like Coppi and Fignon before him, it will surely be upon the Alpe that he lays the foundation for his success"

They ought to read their own hype:rolleyes: :lesson: :mad:

I wonder if they'll do a last minute program change and show the whole stage ? Fingers crossed.
Anyone know the condition of Jan Ulrich this year ? Is he a likely challenger ?

Think he's a bit of an unknown factor - maybe at best he will complete the race and stay within 10-15 minutes of the leader by the end. Surely there's no way he can win this year....here's hoping he puts up a decent challenge!

Ullrich usually eats lots of Black Forest Gateau and cream pies in the off-season...:D

I've noticed he can sometimes look a bit porky !! We need a few people who can seriously challenge to make it really interesting otherwise Armstrong may walk away with it.

Tour de France is hard to predict. When Big Mig Indurain lost out to Bjarne Riis in 1996 Indurain was in good form and expected to take his sixth Tour. Everyone has to stop winning sometime. Is Lance on a higher physical level than everyone else - can he get five, six? - or is he going to topple....

In the Tour it can just happen in an instant, on one climb.

If you are interested in finding out more JohnG, there's a great issue of Cycling Weekly out now - it's got an interview with Bjarne Riis (and all other winners!) about how he won his Tour.

Cycle Sport (August) has got a piece about Ullrich.

I haven't read the mags properly - trying to save them for my flight on Saturday (9 hours!!!).

By the way I haven't been on a bike in four years

I think I'll get the mags and catch up with it all again. I haven't been on my bike for 3 years since I had a bit of a bottom problem ! I wonder how they never seem to suffer from piles ;)

Originally posted by JohnG
I think I'll get the mags and catch up with it all again. I haven't been on my bike for 3 years since I had a bit of a bottom problem ! I wonder how they never seem to suffer from piles ;)

:rotfl:

Who says they don't ?

How unlucky was David Millar:(

He had the prologue won only for his chain to come off two hundred metres from the end of the stage, and lost by a few hundredths of a second.

He must feel gutted, the guy in yellow usually gets to keep it for the first couple of stages, before the big guns take over.

..........and jan Ullrich exceeded my expectations, I was expecting to see a fat bloater pedalling round;) , but he went faster than Armstrong:eek:

Sprinters turn today........my tip..........Petacchi, in good form, won a few stages in the Giro.

Should be an interesting day today. Looking at the length if the stage and the terrain I think I'd give in now !

Owch that fall by Beloki must have hurt !
It makes you realise just how brave these guys are

nice bit of off-roading by Armstrong:smashin:

I don't think he's as strong as in previous years, or at least not dominating in the way he usually does, so that little shortcut he took could help:D

Awesome display of bike control by Lance. Lesser talents would probably have ran into Beloki.

I think Lance is riding well within himself and if he had to take it up a gear he could. Maybe he wants a more entertaining tour than in the past couple of years when it was over by the first mountain stage.

Not seeing much due to our spell of fine sunny weather. Out on my own bike most days after finishing up at work.

This years Tour De France is becoming the most exciting I can remember for a while.
It's always exciting but this years is more so due to quite a few at the front trying to beat Armstrong.
Can't wait for tonights.

Even more interesting after the last couple of days. Ulrich could still do it.

Armstrong was just awesome yesterday, he went from looking in trouble everytime he was tested by Ullrich, Mayo and Vinokourov, then crashing and pulling his foot out of the pedal whilst trying to recover lost ground, to powering away up the last climb of the day and putting a minute into the opposition:eek:

IMO this was the one of the best stages i have ever seen.

You also have to marvel at the sportsmanship in the peleton, when waiting for Armstrong to catch up after crashing:smashin:

Agreed - the best ever. I phoned my mate up last night to say he has to watch the Eurosport highlights. He phoned up tonight to thank me. He also said it was one of the most truly great sporting events, one that will stay with you forever - alongside beating Germany 5-1 ;)

Armstrong is starting to 'do an Indurain' (in more ways than one) - he's developing a habit of sitting on Ullrich's wheel and taking very few turns at the front. He's very vulnerable and if the peleton's streched over the next few days, there won't be an easy run into the final time trial (the route and length of which are very similar to the one last week).

Should be a great finale.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom