1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toughest test material for projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by joebloggs123, Dec 10, 2004.

1. joebloggs123

joebloggs123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I've had a ptae500 for a few months now. Overall I'm very impressed with the performance.

Most of the time the picture is stunning. When I first got the projector vertical banding was very obvious - but using the flicker tweaks I managed to get it to the point that it was virtually unnoticeable.I managed to adjust brightness and contrast levels to the point that black levels are great too.

Most dvd material produces excellent results but there is one type of scene that still highlights noticeable and at times annoying vb: scenes with fast moving wind, smoke, sand storms or snow blizzards; basically scenes with fast moving particles highlight the vertical banding and also another one of the limitations of digital projectors- pixelation. It seems that pixels are just not small enough to acurately display fine smoke etc.

If you want a good range of test material for demoing a projector this is what I suggest:

Easy material: Spiderman 2 - this film really will make the projector shine- with lots of bright solid blocks of colour. This will give you an idea of how good the projector can perform.

Medium material: Starwars episode V : The empire strikes back - This film contains a good mix of easy and difficult scenes for the projector to handle.There are a mixture of contrasty scenes with a few snow scenes. I could occasionally see some slight vb on the snow scenes but nothing that was intrusive- if this was the worst that vb got then I would be totally happy

Difficult material: Apocalypse Now - I doubt if there is a budget projector available that can handle this film. The entire film pretty much consists of explosions, smoke, winds, dust etc.

I was used to my projector delivering excellent images so when I popped this in I was shocked. It basically ripped my projector to shreds- vb everywhere, lots of pixelation and blockiness. The fact the movie is old didnt make it any better. I have to admit this film didnt look that great on my TV either but it was watchable.

To put things in perspective I would say that 99% of the time vb or pixelation is not really an issue- but that other 1% it does stick out like a sore thumb.

When watching Spiderman 2 I was thinking this is BETTER than a cinema picture so the potential is there if the flaws in the technology can be overcome.

Have any of you guys watched these films on your projectors? what was it like?

2. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You raise some interesting points.

And frankly a lot of DVD's are very poorly mastered - and here we are squeezing every last ounce of picture out our projectors only to be saddled with badly compressed DVD's.

I saw some HD on my projector the other day and realised how much more capable the projector could be.

3. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've already tested Apocalypse Now briefly and didn't notice anything bad.. the opening scene with the curling yellow smoke didn't show any pixellation or anything but I didn't watch long enough to get a proper idea.

4. Bogeyed

Bogeyed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When auditioning DLP PJs the opening battle from 'Gladiator' was as severe for someone who sees rainbows as anything. I didnt audition one DLP PJ in which the combination of flashing swords.flickering flames etc caused less than severe rainbows.(for me anyway).

5. joebloggs123

joebloggs123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darwock what projector did you view this on?