• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Touchsceen PC Build

swiss_tony

Basically looking to build/buy a new pc to use as a media centre. Its primary function will be to stream music from spotify and itunes and used for party's so people can walk up to the screen, use the touch screen interface and select tracks. Bit of a novelty bit of kit, basically want it to sit into a casing so I can wall mount the monitor like this The iPhone Inspired DIY Kitchen Touch Screen Project. I was thinking about also hooking it up to speakers which I intend to dot around our living room so budget sound card is crucial (maximum of 5 speakers).

Budget for Desktop is £200 max (need wifi card) and then a cheap but responsive touch screen monitor (15"+).

Maybe will stream movies through the desktop, but nothing too intense in terms of graphical processing power.

mid range hard drive will be enough and 2gb of Ram I can imagine will sufice.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

jameson_uk

You do not need anything special for music (an old PIII will just about do:rolleyes:) video gets a bit messy though.

Have you looked at some of the Nettop options around?
Not really looked in depth but something like this might do you for music and is tiny and £160 to boot

Only issue with these is generally they only have 160GB hard drive in. You could add USB drives or store music on some sort of server / NAS device?

Next step up is going to break your budget unless you are looking at second hand kit.

Most important bit you have not mentioned is how you are going to hook this up to your speakers. Touchscreen will be USB and take card of itself.

swiss_tony

How about connecting a second monitor to my graphics card. Use my desktop and invest in a new soundcard to out put 5 speakers. Current graphics card hd4850.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom