Touching Stories

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Begonia, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Begonia

Begonia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    I'll kick off with this one ....

It's about an Indian villager, called Ratan, who 2 years ago received a message on his mobile phone telling him he had won the BBC's National Lottery.

Of course, it was all a scam, but because Ratan was an uneducated man and just a simple villager he didn't realise this.

Last month he travelled over a 1,000 miles to try and claim his winnings.

Here's more on his story: BBC News - Man travels 1,000 miles to claim bogus prize

2. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Phew, I thought this was going to be another Savile thread.

3. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    Very good Kav. :smashin:

But maybe he was just trying it on. Not Kav, Ratan.

People have got famous for less, much less - look at (insert favourite nomark 'celebrity').

4. robel

robel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    The most worrying bit is the very last line:

"If they don't want to give me the money, I can't force them. It's their money."

5. Begonia

Begonia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Here's an American extradition case involving a couple, Paul and Sandra Dunham, who live about 15 homes away from me. Hence my own interest in it because it involves people who I see and who my wife often chats to with their dogs, whilst she is walking ours. I've never read such an unjust story!

The Dunhams | Case | Friends Extradited

The charges relate to the period between 2002 and 2009 when they left the UK to go and work for an American manufacturing firm, and stem, they say, from the then owner's son, Eric, who has decided to take revenge on them for his father's dismissal of him at that time from his father's company. Eric says that the Dunham's then expenses for removal from the UK and other expenses claimed are criminal theft. That is despite these expenses being OKed by the father, the Financial Director and the company's auditors.

The extradition is to make them stand trial in the USA over the matter. However, when they get there, they will be slammed into jail, separated from each other and the whole thing will not actually go to trial for several years. Naturally, one can understand why Paul Dunham has suffered mentally over this utter injustice of the situation.

"We believe we have strong evidence to show that we're telling the truth, yet no one will examine the evidence without extraditing us to the US."

He said he and his wife could face months, if not years, in separate jails ahead of any trial.

The appeal against extradition trial was held on Thursday 6 February in front of two High Court Judges, who are to give their decision on the matter shortly. You can read Paul and Sandra Dunham's defence statement here. Interestingly, it also shows you how such a case is actually presented to the court.

http://www.friends-extradited.org/_filestore/Dunham_p_proof_of_evidence_19-04-13.pdf

My wife and I wish the Dunham's the very best of good fortune over this. They have lots of support throughout the country, including lots from organisations who are very angry over the utter injustice of the American extradition arrangements set up with the UK. The help may not be adequate as they are so utterly unfair and so one-sided.

This case should never even have become a criminal case.
    • Why does our extradition regime allow for extradition months or even years before trial? This allows for the prosecutors to hold all the cards – delaying the trial in order to put pressure on the defendant to do a deal and "cop a plea deal" rather than even try to fight for their innocence as they're stuck in the US thousands of miles away from friends, family, work etc, and desperate to put an end to their ordeal.
    • Why cant we allow for use of video-link technology (commonplace in trials in the UK) to allow British defendants to appear in US pre-trial court hearings, and only be extradited days before trial, so that they attend trial in person.
    • Why cant a British defendant test the evidence against them in a British court before being extradited? A US citizen wanted by the British prosecuting authorities can do just that – but we Brits can only appeal not on the evidence but on human rights law – and currently the Government is trying to take away our automatic right of appeal.