touch screen monitor

davema1kin

has anyone tried to use a little touch screen monitor as a remote for a HTPC..??

i was thinking of maybe embedding the 9" monitor (or maybe a little bigger) into my coffee table and maybe using it to control the projector / lcd htpc

would be a good little gadget if could set it up right. maybe just clone the picture from either of the other outputs....

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I've considered similar in the past. Couldn't work out a decent way to get data and power to the coffee table without trailling cables though.

Some of the higher end HTPC cases have this built in (theres a silverstone one that I've seen)

Obviously would need some sort of IR blaster/emitter for control.

I'm intrigued and would love to read of progress if you decide to give it a go.

davema1kin

yeah the only real thing that is stopping me is the power cables.

suppose you could go through the floor boards, that just means a hell of a lot more pratting around aswell.....an i dont think my missus would be too pleased if i told her what i was doing...:)

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
there are actual packages designed for exactly this to use basic X Y touch screens linked to a PC for full control have a search for Calypso Control software.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
My plans (never left the drawing board) were to use a program called Meedio (essentially an infinitely configurable/extendible media centre type interface. Sadly bought by Yahoo and appears to have disappeared) There already was a plugin for transmitting IR using an IR blaster (either the MCE remote dongle or another one I forget the name of you could buy ready made or build yourself)

I notice Keene/Lektropacks now make an IP addressable IR emitter that you might be able to use and look quite interesting.

Keene Electronics

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom