Touch ID not working

pilsburypie

Established Member
Reaction score
Basically just asking if others have had this issue. Kind of already know the solution - go to the Genius bar and get a new phone.

Had the iPhone 6 since release day and the touch ID has worked flawlessly until 3 days ago. Had to enter my pin manually and then delete my fingerprint and redo it. Worked fine for a few hours then same thing again. Done this about 4 times now.

Always thought with my old iPhone 5 the touch ID on the 5s was a bit gimmicky and I didn't want it. Now it has stopped working, entering the pin is a real bind!

What sort of work do you do?

Rough hands can have an effect on it.

Ive had no problems with the touch id, it's very impressive especially compared to Samsungs version on my tablet.

I still frequently get issues with the keyboard either not appearing, or appearing but not letting me type. My wife gets the same issues. Really thought an update would have sorted it by now.

I was never happy with touch. It always needed many attempts. Turned it off.

I was never happy with touch. It always needed many attempts. Turned it off.

I wonder if there's a quality control issue? Mine works perfectly, TBH a little too well for complete confidence but I guess it's safe enough.

I redid mine many times. No good. It would work but only after a few attempts. It's quicker to key the PIN.

If the phone's under warranty I wonder if it isn't worth taking it into an Apple shop (if practical). The touch ID is a much vaunted feature and although you might choose not to use it, the fact that it doesn't work properly could affect selling it on. I know two people with iP5s's and four with iP6/6+'s and as far as I know their touch ID's all work fine (as does mine). The fact that yours doesn't work when others do suggests it's a faulty unit.

I can't recall the source, but I did read somewhere that the material used for the touch ID would eventually degrade and fail, but anything less than the life expectancy of the phone itself would surely be unreasonable, i.e. that would indicate that there was a fault at the point of manufacture. That would leave Apple vulnerable to consumer selling law:

Apple (United Kingdom) - Legal - Apple Products and Consumer Law in the United Kingdom

I previously responded with how impressed I've been with the touch ID, but over the past week or two I seem to have problems like described above. Its been flawless since day one but now often needs a few attempts to get in, the touch ID was one of the key reasons I went for this phone.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom