Tottenham court road - bargains or shysters?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Evilmonkey, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Evilmonkey

Evilmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Watcha,

I happen to be in the area of Tottenham court road tomorrow, and as I'm on the lookout for a new dvd player thought I could swing by to some of the shops.

I'm aware that the reputation of the shops their started out well but took a huge tumble to the hard sell merchants which is kind of how I felt last time I went there (many years back now).

What's the current thinking? Bargains to be had for the well informed? Or just a load of rubbish for the tourists / uninformed?

Thanks

2. bam-bam

bam-bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    One of the best things about them is that at least you can haggle with them, especially the smaller stores.

Good luck!

3. Jaunty

Jaunty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    I have worked nearby for a long time. Decide what you want and the price you want it at, then see what they say. If you are ready to buy if they meet your price say so, it will help. You can try different stores but a lot of them are owned by the same people and will work to the same margin.

If you have an internet enabled mobile it will help you check if any of the "bargains" really are bargains or just 3 year old end of line clearouts.

4. Evilmonkey

Evilmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think you're echoing my own thoughts.

I have a specific list of possible players I'm after. If I have best prices for each and don't go 'off list' then I may just come out with the player I want at a decent price...

Like you say, the problem comes if they offer me a player that fits my needs, but isn't on my list!

5. Jaunty

Jaunty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    These days I tend to buy a lot of things from Amazon (quick & easy and normally keen price) or of course AV Forums Classifieds....:thumbsup:

6. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,280
    I always feel that in Tottenham Court Road they don't really know or care what they are selling and that are they trying to pawn me off with the most profitable (for them) option.

If it has to be a store then I go to Richer Sounds or John Lewis where the staff know their stuff and where you can get a bargain. Otherwise it's always cheaper to buy on the Internet.

7. Evilmonkey

Evilmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Am in town to have dim sum in chinatown, so a quick jump up to TCR might just about be on the books, not sure heading all the way to JL would get the thumbs up from the family though!

Amazon was my fall back position. Am after a Philips 5990 by preference and I just have a feeling that I SHOULD be able to get it lower than £62. I've no justification for this, I'm not entirely sure why only 2 places online in the uk seem to sell it?

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Well if you know how to haggle, I've walked away with many a deal that meets or beats internet prices from TCR.

You get to take the goods there and then and the the stores themselves are by and large ultimately reliable. Some of them have been there for over 30 years.

Yes it's fast paced and feels like box shifting at times, but it's the West End, bright lights big city and all that so if you know your way about town it's a great place to shop.

9. Evilmonkey

Evilmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As I said, it's been an age since I shopped there, and you guys are right, still the same old street. Some places with ridiculous prices (£20 over RRP - no idea why), some places with some harder pressuring salesman, but most not.

All in all a good experience and a good alternative to the frustrations of the internet.

Came away with a player £15-20 cheaper than the best I could find on the internet (superfi), so am happy.

Oh and as usual the dim sum just puts a smile on my face...