Totally unfit, not overweight (maybe a few pounds, not stones) how should i healthy up

Good point about the sweet tooth, it is possible to wean yourself off with some effort.

Thought I'd posted that when I read it back :D Seems we're both in a similar position though I don't smoke. I've joined a gym which I will start from Monday but motivation is my biggest downfall so hoping having to go past the gym on the way to work and back will be enough to get me inside. Good luck and do keep us updated.
Mate the day before you are going to go to the gym, pack your bag and leave it by the front door, in the way of the door, so you have to pick it up when you are leaving the house...

D) stop eating crap and get a decent diet going on
Make sure you aren't buying it in the first place. If you are in the supermarket buying crisps, then they will be in the house and you will eat them. If you are hungry do beans on toast or something. Too easy to go to the cupboard and open a packet of crisps/chocolate etc. Similar thing with beer. Have a drink at the weekend if you want, but avoid it when you can. Beer has a lot of calories and if you have a few, next you will be snacking.

Make sure you aren't buying it in the first place. If you are in the supermarket buying crisps, then they will be in the house and you will eat them. If you are hungry do beans on toast or something. Too easy to go to the cupboard and open a packet of crisps/chocolate etc. Similar thing with beer. Have a drink at the weekend if you want, but avoid it when you can. Beer has a lot of calories and if you have a few, next you will be snacking.

It is more the burgers, pies, battered fish and chips that I always est rather than sweets, this worries me
I never ever drink booze.... hatethe smell and taste it makes me retch

I look out for good fruit e.g. pink lady apples, they cost more but have great flavour so I enjoy eating them, clementines etc.
As a treat Sable black grapes (South African ones are best). Strong flavour but lovely.

Managed my first morning at the gym today. Did the 35min burn class. Figured in a room full of others there's less chance of me quitting early. Enjoyed it but my legs are like jelly now :eek:

Managed my first morning at the gym today. Did the 35min burn class. Figured in a room full of others there's less chance of me quitting early. Enjoyed it but my legs are like jelly now :eek:

Well in be proud..... don’t you feel great immediately afterwards though for sure

Well done matey, great start! When is the next one?

Well done matey, great start! When is the next one?
Booked in for Wed and Fri morning as long as my legs are still working in the morning.

You might need two things:
1. A wheelbarrow
2. A friend who will use it to get you home :D

Last edited:
I did well with brisk walks with the dog for a while but weight loss just levelled out. Not to much fun walking the streets at night during the winter, even the dog looks at me to say "do we have to go out in this". Been stuck at the same weight for weeks hence now trying the gym.

I did well with brisk walks with the dog for a while but weight loss just levelled out. Not to much fun walking the streets at night during the winter, even the dog looks at me to say "do we have to go out in this". Been stuck at the same weight for weeks hence now trying the gym.

A weight loss plateau can last a few weeks to a few months and can be influenced by a few factors but don’t lose heart, weight lose is not linear and even when your calorie intake is on point you could gain the odd pound here and there. As you lose more and more weight and get closer to your goal weight you should consider doing body measurements as well as scales, especially if your hitting the gym as well.

great stuff guys, and I would also keep a log of what you do as you can see how much you progress over time, and keep disciplined...

a log is important as if you're doing a specific exercise i.e. squat :45kg, walking 1mile in 15 minutes, or 5 lengths at your swimming pool etc - then you will see an improvement over time (in terms of the weight, number of reps, and timings etc) , and when you're lacking in motivation you can see how much you're progressing over time...

I would also have a simple routine plan* and stick to it - and do something that you can maintain long term, and also something that enjoy
* tho, any additional ad-hoc exercise will be of benefit, as it helps to get into that kind of mindset..

and do something that you can maintain long term, and also something that enjoy
* tho, any additional ad-hoc exercise will be of benefit, as it helps to get into that kind of mindset..

This is part of my best advice I've been given and I give out.
Choose something you enjoy. Then it isn't as much as a chore, you look forward to it and so you are more likely to do it and stick with it.

And every little bit helps, little and often and extra bits etc etc

I do some some simple exercises when there is a TV programme I don't have to focus on.
Oddly enough Crash Crash TV works well.

@Ned Senior How you getting on mate? Hope you've been sticking with the walks??

I've been using "my fitness pal" app to count calories which has been a real eye opener. Certainly makes you think when you can see what each meal adds up to. Worth trying out, it is free ;)

@Ned Senior How you getting on mate? Hope you've been sticking with the walks??

I've been using "my fitness pal" app to count calories which has been a real eye opener. Certainly makes you think when you can see what each meal adds up to. Worth trying out, it is free ;)

Finally succeeding without fags past two weeks and yes still only walking as yet due to being in it for the long run coming from quite a poor state so small steps leading bigger
Don’t want to shock my body too much and cause problems

Had a good walk yesterday on my two mile circuit.
Even though the bad weather has reduced exercise I did well so overall fitness is improving, not as stiff overnight as I expected.

I am (too) slowly moving from biscuits to fruit, nets etc. The fat and carbs in biscuits don't help.

I am (too) slowly moving from biscuits to fruit, nets etc. The fat and carbs in biscuits don't help.

Eating unsalted nuts and raisons past two nights rather than fatty stuff
Need to hit tesco or wherever tomorrow for some veg and unprocessed goods

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom