1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Totally Torn!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by networkn, Jan 17, 2005.

1. networkn

Standard Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I am trying to decide how best to spend my hard earned cash to replace my Loewe Calida 33" CRT TV.

Bascically I think I have it down to 2 choices of technology, either 50" Plasma or a DLP TV.

in NZ I can get the Samsung HL-P5085W for around $9000NZD, and the LOEWE Articos 55 for about the same. Loewe to me seems the better buy, not to mention being a fantastic picture (though they are both nice). However..

I have heard from different sources, conflicting information regarding life expectancy of the bulbs. The Samsumg Sales person said 10 years, other places say 2000 hours. I will not purchase DLP if its life is less than 12 months being used 8 hours a day.

Can someone confirm the life expectancy, and if anyone has much to say about the LOEWE vs the Samsung, I would love to hear about it.

Everywhere you go, opinion vary so much. I am hopelessly lost, but my god I love the pictures I have seen on the DLP, though there is very little choice here.

People talk about rainbowing and all sorts of things, like pixelation.. how do I test for those in the shops to see how much it annoys me or if I can see it at all?

In the 50" Plasma I really like the pioneer and slightly more the panasonic viera.

Appreciate any advice!